cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1dx Portrait orientation exposure problem

Nazareth
Contributor
Hey Fellow 1DX folks,

I've got another possible issue with my Canon 1DX- I've been noticing lately that when I'm shooting in Manual mode, landscape orientation, the exposure indicator on the right of viewfinder works as it should and photos set for correct exposure come out correctly exposed, however, when I flip the camera to portrait mode (Note: It seems to only be happening when I flip it the opposite way that it's 'supposed' to flip ie: the controls end up on the bottom instead of the top like they would if you flipped it 'correctly/ to the portrait mode), that the exposure indicator kinda goes screwy and the shot will come out either way over exposed or underexposed (and I hadn't touched the exposure dial since flipping from landscape OT portrait for a shot that should be the same exact exposure setting- )

I've just noticed this in the last few days, and haven't tried it much in the other modes except for AV which seems just fine (as the camera sets the exposure automatically- it seems to work for both landscape and portrait as it should)

I'll have to test itm ore today, but I think in Manual mode the camera works as it should if I flip it to portrait the 'correct' way- the exposure doesn't change, and the shots come out as expected

Also of note is that I'm shooting in quite cold weather- however, I'm generally shooting from the car, or very shortly after getting out of the car when camera is still sort of warmish- Not sure if the cold is causing the issue, but it wouldn't seem so as the problem does happen in the car with heat on, and warm conditions

Also of note, this seems to have happened when shooting very bright high contrast scenes ie: edge of Forrest with direct sun on snow cover in front of trees (at least this is when I've noticed the issue- it may happen at other times too, I'll need a few days of testing to determine if it does or not-)

Has anyone heard about this being an issue? Or experienced it themselves? Do I perhaps have a setting in the camera wrong? I can't think of anything that might cause this issue i in the settings department- but then again, I'm not real familiar with all the various settings either-
Nazareth is online nowReport inappropriate post or spam
1 REPLY 1

Nazareth
Contributor

Issue solved, the 'link spot meterign to autofocus point' was inadvertantly changed and I assumed I was focussing with my manually selected points, but it was actaully meterign from center- I've changed it back to focus points- and it works just like it shoukld-

Announcements