cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1DX Mark II Ethernet Tethering Mac problems

gomezfj
Apprentice

i will describe the issue best as i can.

Scenario:

Computer: Apple iMac - Apple MacBook Pro
Operating System: Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan
Software: Canon EOS Utility 3 (3.7.0)

I have the camera connected via Ethernet to a network switch using static ip address on both computers and camera, i do initiate the communication setup wizard on the camera selecting EOS UTILITY mode until the setup finishes. To finish the process i have to accept the network prompt on the computer and confirm it on the camera itself, the process finishes but i can't open the EOS UTILITY on the computer, it always open on the pairing screen asking to connect a eos camera.

Digging a little more into the problem i have turned off the firewall on both computers i can even do a ping test on the camera IP address with successful network reply.At the end the lan indicator led on the camera flashes RED and the error message displayed on the communication menu is (Connection target not found) I have tried everything to make EOS UTILITY 3 work but i can't, a do heavily depend on tethering for my workflow. please help me.

5 REPLIES 5

@gomezfj wrote:

i will describe the issue best as i can.

Scenario:

I have the camera connected via Ethernet to a network switch using static ip address on both computers and camera, i do initiate the communication setup wizard on the camera selecting EOS UTILITY mode until the setup finishes. To finish the process i have to accept the network prompt on the computer and confirm it on the camera itself, the process finishes but i can't open the EOS UTILITY on the computer, it always open on the pairing screen asking to connect a eos camera.

Digging a little more into the problem i have turned off the firewall on both computers i can even do a ping test on the camera IP address with successful network reply.At the end the lan indicator led on the camera flashes RED and the error message displayed on the communication menu is (Connection target not found) I have tried everything to make EOS UTILITY 3 work but i can't, a do heavily depend on tethering for my workflow. please help me.

Too vague. How many computers are involved? (You sort of imply two.) Are both connected to the Ethernet switch? Is the camera connected via WiFi? If so, is it configured as an access point or a client? If not, how does it manage to have an IP address? Is it trying to talk to more than one computer at a time? What is the network geometry and how are the static IP addresses being determined.? Did you try it with a simpler geometry, and did that work?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi, I only need it to work on 1 computer, i tested on 2 different computers on the same network to make sure that is not a computer related issue. Everything is connected on a single gigabit ethernet switch on a manual IP environment 192.168.0.0/24  computer 192.168.0.2 / camera 192.168.0.120  

Nothing happens after the pairing process. 

even if i test the camera connection wizard on automatic IP it gets assigned with a correct IP the LAN Led turns on solid green, the pairing process is accepted and then nothing happens, LAN Led turns red, the communications menu on the camera shows (Connection target not found) error message.

@gomezfj wrote:

even if i test the camera connection wizard on automatic IP it gets assigned with a correct IP the LAN Led turns on solid green, the pairing process is accepted and then nothing happens, LAN Led turns red, the communications menu on the camera shows (Connection target not found) error message.

How is the camera connected to the switch? Does the camera have an Ethernet jack? Or is it connected via WiFi? If the latter, is the camera configured as a client or as an access point? Can you ping the camera from the computer?

When the camera gets an IP address assigned automatically, what DHCP server assigns it? Is the assigned IP address in the same address space as that of the computer? If not, is the "switch" actually a wireless router?

Does it work if you connect the camera to the computer via a USB cable instead of via Ethernet?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah, the 1DX Mark II have a built in ethernet jack. connected directly to the switch also the computers. No Wifi involved.

ping to the camera IP works. If i connect to the camera via USB tethering works OK 

Announcements