cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1000D : ERR 01 message with 70-300 lens

rocket9244
Contributor

I got a different lens for my camera and on some settings, (usually full auto mode)  I get an "err 01" communications between the camera and lens is faulty, clean the lens contacts",

but other shots / settings it works perfect. camera is Canon 1000d and lens is QUANTARAY for Canon 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 LDO Macro. what could be issue, could the camera cant handle some settings and or vice versa? heres a moon shot on manual, iso auto and macro @ 300.

moon1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The 75-300 is an okay lens but the best Canon telephoto zoom lens for your camera right now is the 55-250mm IS or the 55-250mm IS II or the 55-250mm STM.

These lenses are better because the Image Stabilization really helps keep the image sharp with slow shutter speeds and they also have better optics. 

You should be able to get a 55-250mm IS for about $100-$125.  ebay 55-250mm IS

Here are a bunch of "buy-it-now" for about $100 plus shipping:  ebay 55-250 IS "Buy-It-Now" 

_55-250.jpg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

well heck, guess i should save $100 and get the 75-300 Canon lens that I was going to get anyway.. thats what happens when you try to go the cheap route huh 🙂  I only gave $20.00 for this lens and it gets good pics otherwise.. maybe i should throw it on ebay 

No, your best bet is to leave it in Av mode and at f/4 at 70mm.  It will automatically change to f/5.6 as you zoom out to 300mm.

It would also do the same in Manual mode but then you would have to adjust the shutter speed manually to get the right exposure. 

If you put it in P or Tv or any other auto mode,  the camera will sometimes stop down the lens to something like f/8 if it is bright out and you will get the error again.   

Mike Sowsun

that makes sence, it does that in auto.  i guess it is what it is, a $20.00 lens..  🙂

For $20 you got a pretty good deal.   You could sell it, or just keep it, and remember to always shoot it wide open. 

Mike Sowsun

I'm looking at one on ebay now. Canon 75-300 for $61.00 (so far). I see they were $200.00 New. so I guess upwards of $100.00 is about right. Thank You for all of your information and the help !!

The 75-300 is an okay lens but the best Canon telephoto zoom lens for your camera right now is the 55-250mm IS or the 55-250mm IS II or the 55-250mm STM.

These lenses are better because the Image Stabilization really helps keep the image sharp with slow shutter speeds and they also have better optics. 

You should be able to get a 55-250mm IS for about $100-$125.  ebay 55-250mm IS

Here are a bunch of "buy-it-now" for about $100 plus shipping:  ebay 55-250 IS "Buy-It-Now" 

_55-250.jpg

Mike Sowsun

The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens, which is on it's third version, is also a very "cheap" lens.  It is not a good canidate to buy used unless you get a return privilege.  You may be looking at version 1 or 2 which will be worth less.  The build is not the best but at least it should work for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hello Mike Sowsun, 

Your reply here is spot on! I'm facing the same problem. I'm considering keeping the lens and just shooting it wide open all the time. I'm using the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD with the Canon M50 Mk I and the Viltrox EF EOS M adapter. I just had two questions...

1. Is it in any way harmful for the camera to do this?

2. Is there any way to fix this problem?

I'd be grateful for your reply. Thanks!

@samuelselvin wrote:

Hello Mike Sowsun, 

Your reply here is spot on! I'm facing the same problem. I'm considering keeping the lens and just shooting it wide open all the time. I'm using the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD with the Canon M50 Mk I and the Viltrox EF EOS M adapter. I just had two questions...

1. Is it in any way harmful for the camera to do this?

2. Is there any way to fix this problem?

I'd be grateful for your reply. Thanks!

1) It is not harmful to your camera.

2) There is no way to fix this. 

Mike Sowsun

on my canon 18-55 and 28-80 lens they will shoot any setting. could it also be because the 70-300 is an older lens that came from a 35mm era, cant go as high as the camera ?
Announcements