cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot take ANY focused moving object photos using my new 1D X MKII and my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

LanceA
Enthusiast

First let me familiarize you with my back ground a bit.  I have enjoyed photography off and on for some time.  However, my previous camera was a 2003 Canon 10D.  I really decided to take a bit of a step up when purchasing a new 1D X MKII, the above listed lense as well an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L  II USM  lense.   I purchased a nice gimble, a shoulder rig, 4 large C-Fast cards, extra batteries, etc...

The 4K 60 FPS videos are spectacular through this setup (could do without the Motion JPEG Codec for sure), and the functionality is a breeze.

But I am far more interested in the still photography side of my Canon 1D X MKII and lenses.   I have read the ebtire manual several times and the on-line available AF setup guide from Canon.   My camera and both lenses, as well as my older Canon lenses, have no prblems when auto focusing on STILL objects, but as soon as there is movement such as a large water bird flying by my position, then I cannot get this camera to focus AT ALL.   I have no issues when maintaining the bird (as an example) in the focus area of the lense, then activating the back button focus while depressing the photo button.   Even at 14 frames per second I end up with zero shots in focus!   I have tried almost every AF area selection mode and all 6 of the Focus Cases  along with everything else that a very inexperienced novice such as I can think of.   I really hope that I am simply missing something that someone here can help me uncover.  I am so frustrated at this point that I am willing to pay someone who owns a similar setup to walk me through their 1D X MKII setup to hopefully get to the bottom of my issue.  Unfortunately I cannot find anyone in my area and we no longer have any camera shops around.

Thank you very much for you help and and understanding in advance.

Lance A.  

46 REPLIES 46

cicopo
Elite

Have you set the AF to AI Servo? You use that setting plus a half press of the shutter button (or preess the rear AF button) to start & to continue tracking the moving target. This allows the AF algorithm to calculate where your AF needs to be thinking the target is moving in relation to current position.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

First, Thank you very much for your help.  Yes  I have the AF set to AI Servo and I have set the AF-ON back button to perform focus.  I have disables the shutter buttons focus ability.  So, I first focus on my subjest, usually just prior to movement, (mostly wld life so far), by depressing and holding down the back button.  Wnen the large bird begins to take off, I then press the shutter down and follow the animal with the lense keeping the bird as centered as possible.  I keep the back focus buttun depressed during the entire shoot.  As of now not one single shot has been close to in-focus.

Lance A. 

I shoot action with lesser cameras than yours but I never liked back button focus so why not abandon it for now & assign AF to the shutter button. Less to remember to do & easier (for me) to start shooting at the critical time. What shutter speed are you using & how well can you pan? IS switch in mode 2 or 3 on the lens? (I don't have it but have the older version). Are you trying to zoom in or out as you shoot? Also based on my bodies there should be a custom menu feature that can be set to shoot without focus lock which I do not recommend.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yea, I think that if your camera is newer and more advanced than my old Canon 10D, then you are way ahead of me regardless of my new camera.   I went to back button focus to try and make things easier, but I agree with your opinion and will undo what I have done.  However, I had the moving object focus issue prior to going to back button focus.  No, I am not zooming while shooting.  I am not that capable yet.  I am not versed in the focus lock yet.

Lance A

@LanceA wrote:

Yea, I think that if your camera is newer and more advanced than my old Canon 10D, then you are way ahead of me regardless of my new camera.   I went to back button focus to try and make things easier, but I agree with your opinion and will undo what I have done.  However, I had the moving object focus issue prior to going to back button focus.  No, I am not zooming while shooting.  I am not that capable yet.  I am not versed in the focus lock yet.

Lance A

I think part of your problem could be lens settings.  I used to get OOF shots until I began paying attention to the focusing range switch.  The IS mode has less impact than focusing range.  

You also need a very fast shutter speed, at least 1/2000, to capture birds-in-flight.  Don't be afraid to raise the ISO, either.

Ai Servo takes some practice to use well.  Try taking a few shots in One Shot mode, and rely on DOF.  Separate the camera from the lens, to see which is the problem.  I think it is as simple as lens settings.  One Shot mode should prove it to you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So,  I had made a novice/stupid assumtion that allowing this big pro camera to automatically set basic features such as; shutter speed, aperature etc.....,  would be safe for capturing some moving subject stills, I was wrong.  My cameras' shutter speed was set to 1/80.  I reset to 1/1000 while at 400mm on moving birds.  I have yet to capture a lager subject flying by at a closer range, but I have captured several smaller (Kites) subjects at a bit of distance.  Every photo, set to HS, came out clear!

Thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction.   Oh, I also disabled my lenses' IS for moving shots.  I have sooooo much more to learn and understand.

Lance A. 

@LanceA wrote:

.   Oh, I also disabled my lenses' IS for moving shots.  

Lance A. 

Unless you are on a tripod you want IS on. What you want is to make sure the IS is in Panning Mode. Some lenses switch automagically, some have an off/IS On/IS Pan setting and some have off/on/horiz pan/vert pan setting.

Though they are usually called modes, and not "pan settings".

@LanceA wrote:

Oh, I also disabled my lenses' IS for moving shots.  I have sooooo much more to learn and understand.

Lance A. 

For the EF 100-400 L IS II, leave the image stabilization ON, but, use Mode 3 for moving shots.

"... allowing this big pro camera to automatically set basic features..."

As a rule of thumb, the more advanced and professional camera you choose the less it does for you automatically. That is the way it should be.  Keep it basic until you learn and progress and you will be fine.

I am a keep IS 'on' person.  However, it is not impossible to shoot very nice shots without IS.  In fact the faster your SS the less you need IS.  Remember at one time there was no IS on any tele.  We did managed in spite of that.  Amazing, I know!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements