cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon 7dmkii with cannon 400 f4 DO lens ...will not autofocus

mmiddl1
Contributor

Hi All..... new to the forum....... not sure if posting in correct section

recently bought 7dmkii with cannon 400 f4 DO......not new but both in excellent condition....... the problem is that the lens/ camera will only auto focus if full auto (green) is selected on ...... I cannot set AF  with centre focus or any other setting except full auto ......... the problem is that because they are both new to me ...... I cannot figure out which is at fault or is it my inexperience ....... I realise that the 7dii is very sophisticated....... I had a 7D previously .....I have tried resetting to default 

can anyone help?.....

regards

mmiddl1

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

There are at least 4 different places you need to reset the camera back to it's default settings.

Clear all camera settings

Clear all Custom Func (C.Fn) 

Custom Controls - Default Set

Custom shooting mode (C  mode) - Clear settings

View solution in original post

Thanks again TT not sure how to do all off these.......really will have to get my head in gear
Regards
Martin m

Many thanks Ray.......what is back button focus .......and how do I unset it please

Back button focus is where the focus function has been removed from the front shutter button and moved to the AF on button on the back of the camera.

This can be changed in the menu accessed by the Q button also on the back of the camera, there may be other changes you need to make so I would suggest you sit down and have a good read of the user manual before going further. If you haven't got a user manual then it can be downloaded from the Canon website.

As a quick check before you make alterations try pressing the AF on button to see if the lens focuses, make sure the camera is not in the green square auto mode.

The backup battery is internal on the 7D MkII, it charges from the main battery and is not user changeable, that is why to perform a complete reset you have to remove the main battery and hold the shutter button down for a minute to discharge the backup battery.

12 REPLIES 12

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Someone took AF Start off of the shutter button. 

You have to reset the camera in several (4 or 5) different places to bring it back to its default setup.

You could try taking out the main battery and the backup battery and allowing the camera to sit overnight and see if that corrects it. 

Otherwise, I have another post on here somewhere that covers all the menus that need to be reset to get the camera back to factory defaults.

Thanks TT.....
For your response...... I will need time to digest your advice
Not sure about start off on the shutter button
Will try to do all the default resets?????
where is the backup battery?????
Regards
Martin M

Ray-uk
Whiz

I know you've said you set it to default but are you sure it isn't set up for back button focus.

edit ...

Aaaaargh T Martin beat me to it.

Many thanks Ray.......what is back button focus .......and how do I unset it please
Regards
Martin m

Back button focus is where the focus function has been removed from the front shutter button and moved to the AF on button on the back of the camera.

This can be changed in the menu accessed by the Q button also on the back of the camera, there may be other changes you need to make so I would suggest you sit down and have a good read of the user manual before going further. If you haven't got a user manual then it can be downloaded from the Canon website.

As a quick check before you make alterations try pressing the AF on button to see if the lens focuses, make sure the camera is not in the green square auto mode.

The backup battery is internal on the 7D MkII, it charges from the main battery and is not user changeable, that is why to perform a complete reset you have to remove the main battery and hold the shutter button down for a minute to discharge the backup battery.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

There are at least 4 different places you need to reset the camera back to it's default settings.

Thanks again TT not sure how to do all off these.......really will have to get my head in gear
Regards
Martin m

"... not sure how to do all off these.......really will have to get my head in gear"

Looks like you need to get your head into the 7D Mk II user manual.  It is hard to make changes and set up things when you don't have a clue what or where things are.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@TTMartin wrote:

This is a very good idea, to reset everything back to factory new, out of the box.  Switch the top dial to P mode to find everything.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements