Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can the same charger be used for the LP-6 and the LP-6N batteries?

I just made the leap to my first full frame camera.  I bought the original 6D.  However, I noticed that the battery that comes with it is a LP-6.  I also one several LP-6N from my apsc cameras.  Do I need to use the charger that came with the LP-6 to charge that battery or can I use the one that I have with my LP-6N?  I would rather not carry to chargers.  However, I would rather carry two charges instead of damaging the batteries.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can the same charger be used for the LP-6 and the LP-6N batteries?

I'm guessing you mean LP-E6N.  

The LP-E6N is replacement for the LP-E6.  The "N" version has slightly more compacity.  (1865 mAh vs. 1800 mAh)

It uses the same LC-E6 charger - no difference there.  There is no new charger for it (not needed).

It works in every camera that would have used an LP-E6 battery.

Also, I don't think the LP-E6 is actually made anymore.  A while back B&H Photo used to list both models.  I ordered a new pair of LP-E6 (not even aware that there was a new LP-E6N) and the "N" version was delivered.  I phoned and asked them, they told me it was the replacement for the LP-E6.  These days they don't even list the LP-E6.  If you search their website for an LP-E6, only the LP-E6N shows up in the search results.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can the same charger be used for the LP-6 and the LP-6N batteries?

I just received a 6D and it came with the older battery. That’s how I noticed the difference. Thank you for your response. I have several batteries and didn’t want to have to worry about which one I grabbed when rushing.