cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't focus/recompose with my 5D MkII

photoflurry
Contributor

I've had my 5D MkII for about 2 1/2 years now, and a few months ago it inexplicably quit locking focus for me. Nothing happened with the camera, have been using it like always - no damage, etc. Just started realizing that when I focused on an area, then re-composed, it wasn't holding the original focus point. So I turned on the focal point setting so I could see during and after a shot where the focus had been. Any time I focus/recomposed, the focus was never on the original point of focus. It happens with all of my lenses, at any camera setting. 

I've read my manual thoroughly and can't find any settings that may be causing this, so I'm really hoping it isn't a camera malfunction. Thoughts?

Also, I am no longer able to set my ISO at 100. The lowest I can set it is 100. 

With both of these issues, I welcome and greatly appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or similar experiences.

17 REPLIES 17

EOS 5D Mark II: Custom Function IV-1 (option 2 or 3)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

If your camera won't hold focus in one-shot, using any lens, then I suspect a broken shutter button. You don't need to use the focus indicator, just shoot a still life where an object on one side is the subject in focus, recompose, and expose with a large aperature to limit depth of focus. Did it hold the focus?

Thanks for that suggestion. I've been so obsessed and pre-occupied with the fact that focus/recompose is affecting my exposure, that I didn't even think to test the actual, literal focus. 

I attached my 80 mm lens, set it at 1.8 aperture, then focused on a close object, then recomposed. Yes.  The lens totally re-focused itself :o(

Don't even know what to do now. Can't be without my camera in this, pretty much the busiest season (at least for me).

Guess I'll just keep limping along, maybe try to save up for a new body and use this one as my backup. Bummer, seems like I should have gotten more than 2.5 years out of it!

You weren't angling for a new body all along or were you?Smiley LOL

Because I could suggest a number of ways for you to temporarily acquire a camera while yours is being checked.

PS I've had Canon Service performed and I found them fair and efficient. Just my $.02.

I'm not "angling" for anything (although yes - I'm usually up for any excuse to get new equipment; but not a new body . . . ). I bought this camera after having been an avid Nikon user my whole life, then finally after shooting a wedding with a good friend and being able to compare our photos in almost an "apples to apples" situation (hers being the Canon, mine being a Nikon), I was shocked to see how much better  the overall quality her images were-particulary the sharpness and clarity. Within weeks, I went out and bought the Canon, and made my Nikon my backup camera. Have loved using Canon and have been SO happy with my images, but am just surprised that such a major issue is occurring so early on :o(

I welcome your suggestions for temporarily acquiring a camera while mine's in the shop. I do not have a camera rental shop within 2 hours of my home, and even so, renting a camera for several weeks would certainly be cost prohibitive.

As a side note, last year, one of my Nikon zoom lenses went bad (after 6 years of use), and I sent it off for repair. I kid you not - I did not get that lens back for TEN months. So that probably adds to my apprehension about sending the camera in for repairs.

a) Consider if a family member can help.

b) Rent a camera for short periods of time, not a long period of time.

c) Online rentals may be more desirable for convenience.

d) Contact a local photo school or club. (Offer to pay.)

e) Use an online post (Craigslist, online forum, etc.) to find an individual willing to share a camera. Consider a short term swap for something you have.

f) Use a compact camera. Experiment, try to do things with a different approach and use this as an opportunity to push technique or to develop a new look.

Belatedly Edited to add: Please don't consider my posts to be insensitive to your concerns about durability and your reasonable expectations for the camera. But, I don't know anything about the sort of life your camera has led, I don't know if there is no reason whatsoever that it should start malfunctioning. I think these are real concerns but, perhaps, not the sort of questions that should be presumed to be obvious to even the casual forum participant.

@photoflurry wrote:

I don't know what that is - can you give me a bit more information about that setting?  Thanks!

It's "back button focus".  I dont' think that's it, because you can set focus with the shutter button for pre-focus.  It wouldn't do that if you were purely on back button focus.

Regardless, that would be reset if you did a factory reset.  Have you done a factory reset?

I've done the factory reset, as well as resetting custom functions. Was corresponding with a Canon support tech for a while, and ultimately was advised to send the camera in for repair :o(  Can't be without my camera, especially at this busy time of year, so I purchased a used 5D MkII from Craigslist, then sent mine in for evaluation and hopefully repair.  Thanks to all who've tried to help - and especially for clearing up the ISO issue!!  Such a simple fix 🐵

Announcements