cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone share their experiences with the EOS RP?

Kinimaru
Apprentice

Hey everyone! I shot with a Canon 6D for years and loved it, but I ended up selling it and switching over to a Fuji XT2 a couple years ago. I love Fuji, but unfortunately my whole system was stolen while I was traveling recently, so now I'm in the market for a new camera system. Since funds are tight, I was really interested in the EOS RP, especially with the recent price cut. But most reviews I've found online are very spec-heavy and straight up bash the camera, and I honestly can't tell if they're just tech-oriented reviewers hating on the lack of specs, or if the RP really is just not worth it - there doesn't seem to be too many reviews with just everyday experiences.

I'm pretty committed to switching back to Canon, and I'm really just looking for a simple full-frame camera (I missed the 6D's sensor size when I had the Fuji) that is ergonomic, has a quality sensor for photos, and is dependable for professional shoots and traveling - I could care less about video. I would likely stick with EF lenses and use the lens adapter, which I've read good things about. My main question is if I should just take the plunge on an RP now or continue saving for something like a 6D II or even an EOS R. If any of you have an RP, I would love to hear your experiences and opinions on it.

2 REPLIES 2

dboreham
Apprentice

At this point I wouldn't buy another DSLR since mirrorless is the way of the future.

The main thing I think you'd miss with the RP vs 6d2 is shot-to-shot speed. The RP is pretty slow by compatison. So if you want to do wildlife photography or photograph quick moving children for example, the 6d2 is going to be much faster. But its AF will be much worse in terms of accuracy. 

Bottom line is the RP is a perfectly fine camera unless you need to take shots very quickly and see a smooth viewfinder view as you take shots in quick succession.

The RP and 6d2 use the same sensor so other than AF and VF images will be identical.

Regarding R vs RP : the R is quite a bit faster but still not as fast as a DSLR, and has significantly higher pixel density. It also has a somewhat better viewfinder. 

John_SD
Whiz

@Kinimaru wrote:

I'm pretty committed to switching back to Canon, and I'm really just looking for a simple full-frame camera (I missed the 6D's sensor size when I had the Fuji) that is ergonomic, has a quality sensor for photos, and is dependable for professional shoots and traveling - I could care less about video. I would likely stick with EF lenses and use the lens adapter, which I've read good things about. 

I've owned the EOS RP since November of '20. I got it on sale along with the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM kit lens on sale for $999. it was a great deal and I have no regrets at all. In my case, I was looking to move up to full frame AND mirrorless and this provided a great price point in which to do so. I heartily recommend the camera to someone who is looking to enter the full frame or mirrorless world at a reasonable entry level price. But this assumes realistic and informed expectations. I don't consider the RP a pro camera, but didn't buy mine for professional reasons. Your commentary reveals that much more thought and study lies ahead of you before making a purchase. If you require a rig that is "dependable for professional shoots and traveling," and one in which you would "likely stick with EF lenses" I would say that you are not in a position today to make an informed choice if you are considering the RP for your requirements. The RP should be used with RF lenses, despite the ability of the adapter to make good use of EF lenses. 

That said, I myself have been delighted with the RP and it has exceeded my expectations. As a Canon shooter myself, I found the menus to be familiar and well thought out, but still there is a bit of a learning curve moving up to mirrorless. I have no regrets buying and using this entry-level mirrorless camera. I got up to speed with the EVF sooner than I thought I would and have no problems with it. But know that the frame rate of 5 fps is not a pro level spec. I make do with it, but I was well aware of its limitations before I made my purchase. 

Announcements