cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still tether my 5D1 to my computer?

boristhemoggy
Enthusiast

I'm trying to tether my 5D to Windows, but even EOS Utlities v2 won't see it. 
Does anyone know what I need to tether it to Windows please? I'm trying to remote shoot.

31 REPLIES 31

Mine used to work too and now it won't, I can't figure it out

boristhemoggy
Enthusiast

Well hell, I tried a new card reader and it not only reads cards formatted in the 5D, but Lightroom 6.4 can read them too!

Why don't you just simply roll back the EOSU 2 to its' previous version, before you updated it?  It is a fairly safe bet that Windows created what is known as a "restore point" when it installed your update. 

Uninstall the update.  What's the worse that can happen?  The camera won't download images.  I think it will, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I can't see that EOSU 2 or 3 have a problem, but I could reinstall them and see if they do

@boristhemoggy wrote:

I can't see that EOSU 2 or 3 have a problem, but I could reinstall them and see if they do

Well, according to you, you installed an update to EOSU 2 and it stopped working with your 5D. 

Conclusion, the update is the most likley cause of the problem.  Remove it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I didn't install an update. I installed EOSU 2 and later on installed EOSU3. They both seem to work together although now it seems maybe they don't

According to a very old thread online.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2935308w7.jpg

3 months ago, I bought a 2007 version 5D experimenting something. I tried to tether to different versions of Windows - from 7 to 10 and with different versions of EOS utility (the oldest is from one disc for 40D and the latest being the most updated on Canon website. I made many attempts and even I switched to connect to PC in the menu. Nothing worked.

Until I discovered the link I quoted in the  above post, I took out a 10 years old compaq Laptop with Windows XP. Connected the 5D and it worked at once. Not sure which version of EOS utility was installed but possibility the one that came with 30D or 40D.

This is my personal experience and not base on assumptions and guessing.

To boristhemoggy - when you got your 5DsR did you install the software using the disk that came with the camera? If so, the installer would update any existing Canon software with the same name, so you might have inadvertently udated EOSU2 from the version that worked with the 5D to the version that comes with the 5DsR, which, according to its manual, doesn't support the 5D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you reinstall EOSU2 use the disk that came with your 5D. You can be sure that will work with your 5D.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements