cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cameras not recognized by computer; all but one EOS utility is greyed out.

dstaton
Apprentice

Hello -

I want to be able to shoot tethered to my laptop, but my camera isn't being recognized correctly. In Device Manager, it appears under Other Devices, with a yellow triangle.  Right clicking for properties, yields the error The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).  Also, when I plug in the camera, 

"Unknown USB Device (link in Compliance Mode) pops up under Unversal Serial Bus controllers.

I have scoured the internet to find a fix, tried everything I found, and still no joy.  I have both a 6D and 60D camera that not properly recognized by my HP Envy laptop I have tried on two computers:  my desktop (which works as expected, showing the camera under portable devices), and my laptop (which is the one having issues.  Naturally, the laptop is the one I need it to work on.  Both comuters have the exact version of Windows 10:  Version 1607 (OS Build 143.1066)  Both are HP computers.  Desktop is Pavilion, Laptop is Envy.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Upgraded firmware
  2. In device manager, right-clicked Update Driver Software, all say they have the best version.
  3. Tried several different USB cables
  4. Tried all three USB ports, with nothing connected to the others.  Two out of three realize something is connected.  In both of them,  "Canon Camera" now appears under "Other Devices" with a yellow triangle.
  5. When connecting the camera to either of the two ports that recognize it.  "Portable Devices" is nowhere to be found.
  6. installed and updated EOS Utility 2, and installed EOS Utility 3.  Everything in Utility2 is greyed out except for "Monitor Folder", and everything is is greyed out in Utility 3. 
  7. Tried my other camera, a 6D, on the laptop - it wasn't recognized either.
  8. Tried both cameras on my desktop computer - both were recognized
  9. Disabled, then enabled it, then scan for hardware changes.
  10. Installed Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10
  11. Installed the MTP Porting Kit

I am at a loss for further fixes.  I don't care about downloading files, as I just use the camera card.  I need to shoot tethered, and obviously, none of the tether features on my software will work since the camera isn't correctly recognized.

I don't want to reinstall windows, as that will be another time suck, reinstalling software, settings, license numbers, etc.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That didn't help either.

I finally found a solution that worked.  Now my camera is correctly identified, and EOS Utlility works.

Went to the microsoft site and downloaded and installed Windows 10 Creator, which isn't called by the usual Windows Update.   After I installed it (takes about 2 hours), the camera is recognized, and EOS Utility works.

Here's the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope this helps someone down the road.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is your laptop in Tablet Mode?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi jr -

My laptop doesn't have a tablet mode.  It's an HP Envy M7K211DX

Are you using Windows 10 Pro or the Home Edition? The latter apparently lacks some necessary utilities that have to be downloaded from the Microsoft Web site and manually installed. I've used Windows 10 Pro for more than a year on a Lenovo laptop and haven't seen the problem you report.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

hello rtf -

They are both Windows 10 Home Edition.  I heard that too, and the supposed fix for that was the reason I installed Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10.  It's is a suggested fix for the "MTP driver missing." 

@dstaton wrote:

hello rtf -

They are both Windows 10 Home Edition.  I heard that too, and the supposed fix for that was the reason I installed Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10.  It's is a suggested fix for the "MTP driver missing." 

I didn't read through your initial post.  Sorry.  I'd recommend that you delete all of the installed Canon software, then go to the Canon web site to get the latest version of the applications, and install the latest versions. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Delete and reinstall is worth a try since all of the "standard " problems we've run across have been eliminated.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That didn't help either.

I finally found a solution that worked.  Now my camera is correctly identified, and EOS Utlility works.

Went to the microsoft site and downloaded and installed Windows 10 Creator, which isn't called by the usual Windows Update.   After I installed it (takes about 2 hours), the camera is recognized, and EOS Utility works.

Here's the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope this helps someone down the road.

I had a similiar problem.

I recognized that I had both EOSUtility 2 and EOS Utility 3 installed at the same time.
I uninstalled EOS Utility 2 and it functioned properly

@carl_schnurr wrote:

I had a similiar problem.

I recognized that I had both EOSUtility 2 and EOS Utility 3 installed at the same time.
I uninstalled EOS Utility 2 and it functioned properly

There is actually a sound reason for having both versions installed. If you install Version 3 from scratch, it will install both Version 3 and Version 2, along with a control program that knows which version goes with which camera. Then when you invoke Version 3, it will open Version 2 instead if your camera is one of those that can't use Version 3.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements