cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera manufacturers had better get caught up

mangurian
Rising Star

I hope they values of my lenses and camera don't drop too much.

Camera manufacturers had better get caught up with the digital algorithms used in smartphones or both professional photographers and camera makers will be endangered species.

How long before the public decides that 25 wedding guests with phone cams will, combined, instantly produce perfectly adequate memories at only the cost of printing.

It is possible that any one camera company can't afford the expertise that a Google or an Apple can bring to bear on developing chips and algorithms. They might have to either license technology or band together.

Cameras start with an advantage in physics (larger sensors, better lenses, more battery, and (very important) internal space for processing chips. However, they are way behind in using these advantages.  (p.s. prototypes for detachable, large lenses for smartphones have been shown.)

Here is just one of many scary articles about the Pixel 3;

dpreview article

10 REPLIES 10

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Sure... I own an iPhone X ... and a 5D IV (and III).

Once upon a time, brides & grooms would buy "disposable" film cameras and leave them on tables at the reception so that guests would get snaps ... then the bride & groom would get these developed.  The smartphone cameras are the new version of that old idea.

BUT... in the words of Ansel Adams:  “The single most important component of a camera is the 12 inches behind it.”

Wedding guests with smartphones isn't going to match the quality of what a knowledgeable photographer can do.  In other words, it's not all about the camera.

There is another problem with smartphones... it doesn't have an interchangeable lens.  There is no "best" lens.  The whole point of having a camera where you can remove one lens and attach another is that you can use the lens which is optimal for the situation at hand.  Smartphones can't do this.  As I walk around with my iPhone, there are loads of times that I realize that I just can't capture the situation the way I can with my DSLR and some particular lens for that situation.

It's not that smartphones are junk... they're great cameras.  But they are great cameras for SOME things.  They are not great cameras for EVERY thing.  (BTW, there are times when a DSLR isn't the right camera either).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements