cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera brightness?

erikabalandra
Apprentice

Hi, 

Ive been looking for an answer everywhere but I honestly don't know what to look for. 
I don't know what's the settings called, but I'm pretty sure it can be adjusted.. somewhat similar to brightness/quality of the camera. 

I own canon 1100D, and I wanted to take photos such as these: 
These pictures are from Kylie Jenner, she clearly uses Canon, and Im pretty sure of that. I just really wanted to know how does she make the brightness and quality so clear aside from the fact that she has a higher mega pixel lens? Her photos seems to have a high quality and high brightness.

8 REPLIES 8

7D5D
Rising Star

All these picture are extremely over exposed. If this is the effect you want there are a few ways you can do this.  The 3rd image actual show that "Exposure Compensation" was used to increase the exposure by 2/3 of  stop.  Exposure Compensation is very easy to use, just check your camera manual and it will explain it.

As far as "quality so clear" as you mentioned, over exposing is simply blowing out the details.  It also looks like direct flash is being used (and probably way too close) which is flattening the subject's face.

Again if this is the effect you want, just over exposure and use direct flash.

hsbn
Whiz

I don't know why you would want these "effect" but these are the bad effect of direct flash. It's not high quality or anything. There is no such thing as "high mega pixel lens". These type of photos you can use for fun, but if you show it to people who know a little bit about photography they'll laugh at you.

Ok, I gave my 2cents. Here how you can get this "effect", turn on your pop up flash, adjust your exposure compensation to about +1, use Cloudy WB, crank up noise reduction & sharpness. You'll get an over-expose, sharp and texture-less image. Have fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Hello, thank you for you answer. 
But how will I adjust it? I mean am I going to put it on "Manual Exposure"? 
Sorry for asking many questions. I just recently got this camera. 

Everyone pause a tick....

April 1st? 

These shots are teenagers holding their phones ar arm's length and shooting themselves.  They are obviously overexposed.  The flash is just 1.5 feet away from their faces.  Anyone interested in recreating this magical effect need look no farther than their 1.5 foot arms and their mobile phone.

April Fools?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Everyone pause a tick....

April 1st? 

These shots are teenagers holding their phones ar arm's length and shooting themselves.  They are obviously overexposed.  The flash is just 1.5 feet away from their faces.  Anyone interested in recreating this magical effect need look no farther than their 1.5 foot arms and their mobile phone.

April Fools?

No, don't think so.  I think these are real questions.   These were posted yesteday (3/31) regardless which USA time zone you live in.  As I'm sure you know the demographics and content on this site are vastly different than that of other sites such as CR.

I must admit I was a bit puzzled myself, but as they say, art is in the eye of the beholder.

You don't have to use manual exposure, you can use Av and Tv mode, then use the exposure compensation to increase it to +1 stop or more (read your manual on how to do this).
About noise reduction & sharpness, you can change this in the picture style setting of your camera.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just assumed it was some girls wanting to show off photos of themselves.

If it is the case, at least they also upgrade hehe. It's not a photo from an Iphone anymore.
Announcements