cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upgrade Suggestions

jpicky86
Apprentice

Hello everybody! First Post here. I know this question has already been asked but frankly I don't feel like searching through all of the previous post and still not getting a clear suggestion / advice. Anyways here it goes: My wife has a T5 rebel with two entry level lenses. She has shot 2 weddings and a couple handfuls of family portraits. She is also a very talented nature photographer as that is how she spends her free time with her camera. We are looking for a new camera and I will be taking over her rebel. Currently my top choice is the 70D as it is somewhat newer and has some cool features but she would not be taking advantage of the video features. We don't have the money to upgrade to the premier line of cameras but should we consider getting a full framed body like the 7D or maybe a 6D? Getting a full framed body would mean having to purchase two lenses as well so she could still have a lot of capability which would probably be just out of budget. If we purchase a 70D we could get a nice short zoom(17-55 is usm) and use her older long zoom lense saving a little bit of money until we can upgrade the long zoom or get something new like a nice prime lense. Well that's pretty much all of the info, any suggestions or advice would be awesome!

12 REPLIES 12

Oops, I almost forgot. Yes, a full frame sensor will give you a wide angle view at 24mm. But, if you put that same lens on a camera with an APS-C sensor, the angle of view at 24 mm will not be as near as wide as what you would get with the full frame sensor. Another reason why I picked the 6D over the 7D Mk II.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@jpicky86 wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I will check out what Canon has to offer in the refurb shop for sure. You mentioned the EF 24-105 f/4L lense which I have actually been looking at. While I am still pretty sure we are going to end up getting the 70D, I am not certain on the lense I want to get with it. I'm looking at three different ones: EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 is usm, EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, or the EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM. If we do indeed get the 70D then the EF-S is still an option and I like the f/2.8 but is the L series upgrade worth settling for the f/4? Also what is the difference between the 24-70 and 24-105?

IMO, no... I don't think "setting" for f4 just to get an L-series is worth it. Generally speaking, L-series are great lenses. However, I wouldn't bother with the 24-105. The far less expensive 28-135mm can come very close to matching it in all performance categories (image quality, focus speed, image stabilization, close focusing), except for build quality and sealing against dust. (There are tons of lightly used 28-135s around, they have been sold in kit with many cameras over the years. The 24-105 also has been sold in kit more recently with some of the full frame DSLRs.)

The 24-70/4L is a much newer and, IMO, better lens.
But, the 17-55/2.8 is also excellent, is a better match for a 70D or 7DII, and typically costs less.
No EF-S lens will ever be designated as an L-series, only because of the definition of what constitutes an L. Canon will only label a lens an "L" if it's: 1. an advanced and premium design, 2. has an optical formula that includes exotic lens elements, and 3. is compatible with and fully usable on all EOS cameras, past present and future. The last rules out any EF-S lenses ever being an L-series, no matter how good they might be. And some of them are very, very good. There are also some very fine lenses that aren't L's because of the 2. criteria... they just don't need exotic glass to do their job exceptionally well.
The EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM is one of those very good "crop only" lenses. It does include exotic elements, but is not usable on full frame cameras, so can't be an L. Other croppers that I'd consider similar top quality are the EF-S 10-22mm USM, EF-S 15-85mm IS USM and the EF-S 60/2.8 USM Macro.
If/when you ever get a full frame camera, you can sell off any crop-only lenses you might buy and use now with a crop sensor camera. Especially the better ones like those mentioned tend to hold their value well. Or, you may want to keep them if you continure to use the crop sensor camera alongside the full frame.
Another thought regarding f4 vs f2.8... If you have two or three fast primes in your lens kit, you may be able to "make do" with some f4 (or f3.5-5.6, etc.) zooms. But if the zooms are your only lenses, you're more likely to find the extra speed of f2.8 desirable.... especially if shooting portraits where you might want to blur down backgrounds.  
Refurbs can be a good value. Used may be worth considering too... In which case I'd try to buy locally so I could closely inspect the item before buying, or I'd buy from one of the long-established and well-respected used equipment dealers who offers right of return and a modest warranty on used gear.
EDIT: Earlier I recommended a 70D over a full frame camera, because you mentioned "nature" photography along with other uses. However, if that's actually mostly scenic/landscape, as you say, a FF 6D would be a reasonably affordable and work well for that and for portrait/wedding photography. You'll have to weigh your choice of camera against having enough budget remaining to get the right lenses with whatever $s remain after buying the camera.
Another consideration is that wedding photography pretty much demands backup gear. While a crop sensor camera might complement a full frame model, it isn't ideal as a backup. Two FF cameras or two crop sensor cameras with more interchangeable accessories and lenses might be a better setup. 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Actually what you really need to do first is to define your goals.  What is really important to you or you may wind up like another individual around here that bought a lot of stuff and sold off or returned when it didn't meet his needs.

Right now the T5 to a 70D is nice upgrade but not a hudge upgrade.  If you have had the T5i instead of just the T5 it isn't much of an upgrade at all.

I don't know where one poster gets the rules for "L" lenses but he is correct, no S lens will be an "L".  They are not built like the full on pro quality of Canon L lenses.

I teach a DSLR 101 class and I hear questions like yours from lots of folks.  Some are going to be happy forever with a prosummer camera.  Some want more and are not satisified with a Rebel or a xxD camera.  So who are you?  Nobody here can decide for you.  Also some of these guys are accomplished photographers and know what they like and use and have drawn their personal conclusions.  They are not right and they are not wrong.

The bottom line is, do you want or need pro leve gear?  That is what you get with the 6D or 7D or 5D series.  That is what you get with the L line of lenses.  More metal, less plastic.  Weather sealing vs no weather sealing.  Something that is going to be used day in and day out.

There is just one stop difference between the 17-55mm f2.8 and either of the 24-70mm or 105mm versions.  One stop!

The 17mm is going to have the adavntage on the wide end.  The 105m is going to have the advantage on the tele end.  You give to get, no free lunch.

BTW, I shot weddings for over 40 years and I have used croppers for back up all the time.  I also use AP-H sensors and have used all three at the same wedding.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements