cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upgrade Question

mikeficklonni
Contributor

Full disclosure, I know very little about cameras.  We currently own a Canon EOS Rebel XSI.  We have the lens that came with the camera back in 2008, EFS 18-55mm, and purchased a Sigma 18-300 F3.f-6.3 Contemporary DC Macro OS HMS Lens (purchased 2013).  

Typical usage is kid's soccer games, special occasions, vacations / maybe landscapes...etc.  Looking for quality pictures and possibly fast-moving action shots.  The camera is old and the picture quality is poor.  (Could be user error.) 

Anyway, we would like to upgrade to a Canon EOS 90 D (unless someone recommends something different).

Since we have the above-mentioned lens, should we purchase the body only?  Is the 90D standard lens much better than what we currently own?  I don’t know how good our Sigma lens is in comparison to newer lenses.  I've read that my current lenses are compatible, but with the upgraded camera should we upgrade our lens or go with the body only?

We appreciate all advice.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

11 REPLIES 11

Johnw1
Enthusiast
The 90D is a wonderful camera and is the best at present in it's class.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If the 90 comes with the 18-135, get it. It is a better lens then the 18-55.

What issues are you having with your images? 

@kvbarkley wrote:

If the 90 comes with the 18-135, get it. It is a better lens then the 18-55.

What issues are you having with your images? 

I'm in agreement here.

Camera class and price range the 90D cannot be beat.  It will be a huge step up in performance, and image quality for you.  In addition..  coming from the XSI, the 45 point AF will be leaps and bounds above what you are coming from and should be quite adequete for enthusiast level sports and action.

If you can swing one with the 18-135 (owned that one too), its a great lens and will out perform your 18~300 Sigma on the 90D except for its reach.  (I'm a Sigma fan as well).

Other options if you have some disposable income and are looking to treat yourself.

Dump your existing glass on OfferUp, Craigslist or eBay.

Purchase a 17~55 f2.8 and start with it and the 18~135mm.

If you do decide to keep the Siggy...  you will have to upgrade its firmware:

Mount
Canon

Ver.

Update Date

Optimized exposure during viewfinder shooting when used in combination with EOS 90D.

This lens has a lot of distortion and the 90D will bring all of its imperfections out. To upgrade you'll need a Sigma USB dock.  It's only $50 and if you see yourself staying with sigma, it's worth owning one.  If not, and you live near SF Bay Area..  I've got one.

Sig USB.jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I appreciate your reply. I have seen the same pictures taken with an EOS T7i and the color quality and depth seemed much better than ours. I should have been clearer saying the picture quality is poor in comparison with newer models. Thanks again for your response.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Mike, I am all in for the choice of the 90D.  If budget allows do get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. I t is a vast improvement in lenses over what you have.  I have no first hand experience or knowledge of the 18-300mm Siggy. But, I can state ant lens with that large of a zoom range will not have good IQ (image quality).  They have to sacrifice too much to get you that large zoom range and that usually comes at the cost of the IQ.

This is what you said you need, "Typical usage is kid's soccer games, special occasions, vacations / maybe landscapes...etc.  Looking for quality pictures and possibly fast-moving action shots"

The above mentioned 90D and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens will do that as well as anything on the market today.  If you don't get what you want form it, it is likely nothing else will either.

Now why is kid's soccer games lined out?  I have only shot soccer a very few times and then only kid's soccer games!  The very most important thing is not what camera or gear you have but where you stand when taking the shots.  Like they say the three most important things are location, location and location. However the correct choice in gear can enhance that location part of the equation. I would prefer you check out the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens if soccer is very important to you.  Remember kids are only kids for a short time. This big super tele zoom may open up a whole new world for you besides soccer and/or sports.

Nice thing is you don't need to buy it all at once get the 90D and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens to start and learn it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't recommend you buy the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens if you get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  There is too much FL (focal length) duplication.  The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is a good lens so if it is your choice that's fine but not both. Then the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon makes even a better add on lens for your bag.

Keep in mind neither of those zooms are considered fast so you will give up that feature of the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Something I would not do nor personally recommend.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't recommend you buy the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens if you get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  There is too much FL (focal length) duplication.  The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is a good lens so if it is your choice that's fine but not both. Then the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon makes even a better add on lens for your bag.

Keep in mind neither of those zooms are considered fast so you will give up that feature of the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Something I would not do nor personally recommend.

WOW.  I agree, take a pass on the 18-135mm lens kit.  It is a great lens, no doubt about that.  For many people, that is all of the lens that they will ever need.  It just isn't the "best" package for the photo-enthusiast.  

The 18-135mm lens is one which people frequently replace with a better lens.  So, why spend the extra money for it up front?  More times than not, the standard 18-55mm lens kit is selling at, or close to, the same price as the body only kit.  Canon almost gives it away for free six months out of the year.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"WOW.  I agree, ..."

Great minds think alike! Smiley Happy

EB

Well, I purchased the Canon EOS 90D Body Only.  Any additional advice on a lens?  I'm leaning towards your recommendation for the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.  What about Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS?  

Announcements