cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Shopping Question

Pozo
Contributor

My wife and I got our first DSLR about a year ago - a T3i. We curently have the 18-135 f3.5-5.6, the 50mm 1.8, and the 70-300 f4-5.6. We have loved the whole system over the past year. The gear is fabulous and we are having a lot of fun with it and are getting some great images. I have really gotten into bird photography and shooting my neices and nephews playing  soccer and ice hockey. For that reason, I am considering the 7D as a future upgrade. My problem is that no store I know of actually has the 7D in stock, and I will definitely need to see, feel, and shoot the 7D a little before I ever buy it. Stores like Best Buy and Cardinal Camera have the Rebels and the 60D, but they do not have any 7D's or 5D's to look at. Does anybody know where I could check out a 7D? Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

Not much physical difference between a 7D & 50D or 60D but it's a better camera for action thanks to the AF system & burst rate. For anyone to know where you might do a hands on test we need to know where you are located. Also note some on line reatailers do allow returns if you're not happy with your purchase.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I'm located just outside Philadelphia in southeast Pennsylvania.

I'm pretty sure someone can point you to a shop in THAT area with a good selection of gear. That said DON'T expect a noticable difference between your T3i and a 7D. I doubt you could find any IQ difference in daily use but the 7D can do things the T3i can't do as easily. The 7D has a more complex AF system which has a learning curve and does ISO 3200 very well plus the AF system is on par speed wise with the older pro bodies used for sports photography. It's also a popular choice where full frame bodies would require much longer lenses thanks to it being a crop body. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks Cicopo. I'm not sold on upgrading just yet, but I am interested in the 7D because of durability, ergonomics (the T3i feels small in my hands and I would like a bigger, weightier camera), a big 100% viewfinder, slightly better ISO performance, and a Servo AF that tracks fast subjects a little better than my Rebel.

Don't live in Philly but there is a Calumet in south Philly which had a nice selection of bodies. This is a very nice shop with a knowledgeable staff. Call them to see what bodies they have in stock. If you can't find a 7D, put your hands on a 5D mkII or III. It will give you a very good feel for a 7D.

Anyway, great time time to buy a 7D with its reduced price. Sounds like exactly what you need.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have a T3i but I do have three Xti's and I can tell you the 7D runs circles around them. There is no place where they are equal to it much less better.

The Rebel's are a fine line of cameras and meet every need of 75% of the photographic consumers.

The 7D is as much an increase over your Rebel as the Rebel is over the point-&-shoots.

All the Best Buys in my are have 7D's. Micro-Center, a computer store has them and Wolf Camera has them so I am going to guess some store in your area will have one for you to handle.

If you do decide to get one, you won't look back. Not for a second!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't have a T3i but I do have three Xti's and I can tell you the 7D runs circles around them. There is no place where they are equal to it much less better.

Except for Landscape, Portrait, Studio, Table top, Architectural, Still life Macro, and any other type of photography where the subject isn't moving.  You realize they have the same sensor, right?  I suppose you could argue the 1/8000 shutter speed helps with landscape, or the rapid fire helps with studio models, but you're grasping at straws.  The main difference of the 7D is the AF, and yes it's fantastic compared to any of the Rebel line, but if your subject isn't moving, it doesn't do a lot of good.  Yes, there's also weather sealing and dual Digic 4 processors, but again, those don't affect IQ. 

And to the OP: concerning size.  Coming from a 400D I disagree that the size difference isn't significant.  I recently upgraded to a 6D and I think it feels quite different.  The 7D is even larger.  The small size of the 400D didn't bother me when that's all I knew, but now I rather like the feel of my 6D.  That said, small is great if you travel.

I generally don't get into the “mine's better than yours” contests on the forum but you seem determined to press me? First, everyone is entitled to their own opinions even if they are wrong.

I imagine you even read where I was comparing it to my XTi's? And I noticed you used a lot of “Yes, but” in your reply. That is what makes the 7D better. I will even go out on a limb here and say no Rebel bests a 7D Now that is my opinion. The OP can use it or not. It is free advice and worth every penny!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I generally don't get into the “mine's better than yours” contests on the forum but you seem determined to press me? First, everyone is entitled to their own opinions even if they are wrong.

Not what so ever, I'm sorry you always seem to interpret it that way.  My issue is that you always make these bold absolute statements yet you never support your statements with reasons or examples.  I provide a counter point, and you usually ignore it.  That's usually the nature of discussion, the back and forth, which seems the purpose of these chat forums.  Of course you’re entitled to your opinions; but all the same, on an open forum we’re entitled to provide counter points to advice that IMO is flat out wrong. 

Opinions are one thing: “The 7D is a great camera”  “The 7D is the best camera for a bird photographer”.  Even “The 7D is a better camera than the Rebel”.

I can’t argue those, those are your opinion.  And I agree with all those statements, with a caveat on the last one.  But when you say something like “there is no place where the Rebel line can compete with the 7D”.  That’s no longer an opinion, it’s an objective statement, and it’s wrong.  At least, in my opinion it is, hence I provide several examples where they are equal.  I would love to hear a counterpoint, but instead you just chalk it up to badgering and “mine is better than yours”.  Which is funny, because that’s what you’re saying, I’m saying they’re quite equal on several fronts.

Announcements