cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Purchase Help!

Mason_Haer14
Apprentice
Hello All! This is my first post!! I have been stuck between a rock and a hard place on making a decision on a new camera body. I am primarily a casual shooter doing some wildlife, general travel, and aviation photography. I also would like to begin doing some paid gigs at some point as well if all goes well! I am also kind of a stickler when it comes to sharpness when cropping in for some reason, because my current 7D is aging! I am open to any suggestions, however I have been looking at the EOS R, R6, or R5 (may be a little out of my price range). Thank you all for your help!
4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What lenses do you already own?

Also, what would be very useful is to better understand some more specific scenarios of where you are finding shortcomings with your existing equipment.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Mason_Haer14 wrote:
Hello All! This is my first post!! I have been stuck between a rock and a hard place on making a decision on a new camera body. I am primarily a casual shooter doing some wildlife, general travel, and aviation photography. I also would like to begin doing some paid gigs at some point as well if all goes well! I am also kind of a stickler when it comes to sharpness when cropping in for some reason, because my current 7D is aging! I am open to any suggestions, however I have been looking at the EOS R, R6, or R5 (may be a little out of my price range). Thank you all for your help!

Welcome to the forum. 

Since you will be switching from a crop sensor body you will be losing the "reach" of the crop sensor. 

The R6 is close in MP to your 7D, so depending on your end use it may be too small as far as MPs go. (I have a 1D X Mark III - same sensor as R6 - and can print excellent 13x19 prints from cropped images). 

If mirrorless isn't your goal the 90D is a good choice. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Mason_Haer14
Apprentice
I have a lot of EF mount glass currently because of the 7D mount such as 50 and 24 prime lenses, 100-400, 24-70, and few others. However, if I did go the mirrorless route I would definitely look into picking up one of the RF lenses rather quickly! But my current camera definitely lacks in MPs when doing larger prints, noise, and just normal signs of older tech seeing as though the 7d came out 16 years ago or so! Lol

The 7D is a great camera.  It is still a very capable camera.  If you do not or can not go R series I suggest you stick with the old reliable 7D. At this point I would not buy any new DSLR. Mirrorless is the future and until you fully decide to go there stay with ole reliable.

You can adapt your EF lenses to work on a new R series if lenses are out of the budget at first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements