cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect App / 70D- No Live View Magnification on double tap?

NV
Apprentice

I've just begun using the Camera Connect app with my 70D - extremely cool! However, one function I can't seem to make work is the "Live View Magnification" where you double tap on the live view image (in the app) to enlarge it. (Here's a video of that feature in action.) 

I can switch the function on (turns green) but the focus mark doesn't change to the double square as shown in the video... and if I double tap, the Live View image simply remains the same size (50m lens, AF mode)

Does anyone know a reason that function should NOT work with the 70D? 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@NV wrote:

I've just begun using the Camera Connect app with my 70D - extremely cool! However, one function I can't seem to make work is the "Live View Magnification" where you double tap on the live view image (in the app) to enlarge it. (Here's a video of that feature in action.) 

I can switch the function on (turns green) but the focus mark doesn't change to the double square as shown in the video... and if I double tap, the Live View image simply remains the same size (50m lens, AF mode)

Does anyone know a reason that function should NOT work with the 70D? 

I don't know if the touch screen functionality is enabled in that application.  I would expect that the time lag between you tapping on a remote screen and the camera reacting would be mushy at best, and unacceptably slow at worst.  Furthermore, not every camera has touch screen functionality.

Look for buttons to click on for enlarging the Live View image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MoreISO
Apprentice

Using a 5D Mark IV - I had the exact same problem with this one.  No matter what I did within the Canon Connect app, I could never get the image to magnify on the phone. 

It turns out that my autofocus mode was causing it to not allow magnication.

In my case when the AF method is [face symbol]+tracking, the double tap doesn't work.  (Just like it doesn't work when I try to use the on-camera magnify button when it's in live view with the same AF method.)

Using the Canon Connect app I simply pulled up the settings bar (white balance, metering mode, AF method, drive, etc) and switched modes.  

If I switched to AF methods: FlexiZoneAF() or FlexiZone[square] the live view double tap starts to work on my phone. 

CR3shooter
Apprentice

I had the same problem with my M6 II. After a great deal of experimentation I found that there’s a setting in the app that needs to be enabled.

Connect the camera over WiFi and go into the live view screen on the app. To the right of the shutter button is a small camera symbol. Pressing on this a screen comes up with various settings, one of which is to enable live view magnification.

Announcements