cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camara will not connect to PC via USB cable.

duck__boy
Apprentice

Hi all,

I've just bought a Canon EOS 1300D, and after taking a few snaps I'm eager to see how they've turned out.

I've downloaded and installed the relevant software for my Windows 10 (64 bit) computer, and then connected the camera to my PC via the supplied USB cable.

I can vouch for the USB port that I'm using, however I can't vouch for the cable as Canon use mini-USB whereas everything else I own uses micro-USB.  But I'm positive, so I'll assume that the cable is working.

At this point nothing happens; Windows does not discover my camera, no drivers are installed (are any even required these days?), and I cannont access my photos Man Sad

The EOS Utility software is set to launch when a camera is connected, further demonstrating that the camara is not talking to my PC.

Please can someone assist me if fixing this problem.

Thanks,
David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@duck__boy wrote:

Hi all,

I've just bought a Canon EOS 1300D, and after taking a few snaps I'm eager to see how they've turned out.

I've downloaded and installed the relevant software for my Windows 10 (64 bit) computer, and then connected the camera to my PC via the supplied USB cable.

I can vouch for the USB port that I'm using, however I can't vouch for the cable as Canon use mini-USB whereas everything else I own uses micro-USB.  But I'm positive, so I'll assume that the cable is working.

At this point nothing happens; Windows does not discover my camera, no drivers are installed (are any even required these days?), and I cannont access my photos Man Sad

The EOS Utility software is set to launch when a camera is connected, further demonstrating that the camara is not talking to my PC.

Thanks,
David

The usual reasons are that WiFi is turned on (which disables the camera's USB port) or that the USB cable is a "power only" model that lacks the data strands.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@duck__boy wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
David

The usual reasons are that WiFi is turned on (which disables the camera's USB port) or that the USB cable is a "power only" model that lacks the data strands.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob, I'd literally just discovered that by accident. Happily it's now connected just fine 🙂

duck__boy
Apprentice
Never mind. I found out by accident that if you have Wi-Fi/NFC enabled, you can't connect via USB.

It would be helpful if that was mentioned somewhere on that menu.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

For the benefit of others, its spelled right out in the manual on the page "Downloading Images to a Computer".

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm sure that the vast majority of answers to questions on this forum are "spelled right out in the manual", but sometimes the odd note gets missed when the manual is 100+ pages.

As a beginner, I'm grateful to contributors like RobertTheFat who take a moment to help, rather than typing a convoluted version of "RTFM" before moving on.

A. I wasn't addressing you since you found out the answer yourself 

B. I always provide reference back to a source document since others may not be as proficient as you and may need additional guidance. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

As a matter of curiousity, is there a reason you don't just remove the SD card and read it via a card reader? 

I never connect the camera direcly to my PC for a couple of reasons.  The download speed seems to be faster with the card to PC direct, and I don't have to drain the camera batteries to transfer the files.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

As a matter of curiousity, is there a reason you don't just remove the SD card and read it via a card reader? 

I never connect the camera direcly to my PC for a couple of reasons.  The download speed seems to be faster with the card to PC direct, and I don't have to drain the camera batteries to transfer the files.

I think there is a very simple explanation why many people want to use USB..  You're probably moving a LOT more data. 

If you're only moving several dozen files, then using the USB cable is not only convenient, it is probably quicker than taking the card out, using a reader, creating folders, dragging and dropping files, and then re-inserting the card in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements