cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR3 Format

chief
Rising Star

I have statrted this topic before and was helped out when it came to lightroom. Got the 90D and its RAW files are in CR3. Apple Photos will not display this format. I called Apple and they said the new OS Catalina 10.5 will take care of this issue. Well it has not, does anybody have same issue as me or am I doing something wrong?

32 REPLIES 32

chief
Rising Star
I dislike dpp and like to use Photos as my library was easy to use and access images but do my editing in LR since Jobs died Apple has gone down hill.

According to this post https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208967 it should be supported. However, it is not.  This has been incredibly frustrating and has killed my workflow. I have sent feedback to apple, written on their forums. My friend has an R and cr3's from that camera are supported.  It's been almost a year, what can we do?

I updated my RP firmware to 1.4 and any new photos are now readable by OSX. Old photos are still incompatible, but at least everything from here on out will work.

"I dislike dpp and like to use Photos as my library was easy to use and access images but do my editing in LR since Jobs died Apple has gone down hill."

You and everybody else experiencing this dilemma need to just stop and start using LR and PS exclusively.  It is software designed by photographic people for photographic people. It is not a camera company designed photo software or a computer OS maker designed photo software.

When Apple/Mac stuff works it works as well as anybodies, but when it doesn't it  is a mess. It seems like it is a mess more often than it isn't anymore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I dislike dpp and like to use Photos as my library was easy to use and access images but do my editing in LR since Jobs died Apple has gone down hill."

You and everybody else experiencing this dilemma need to just stop and start using LR and PS exclusively.  It is software designed by photographic people for photographic people. It is not a camera company designed photo software or a computer OS maker designed photo software.

As long as you don't mind having all of your images and workflow exclusively controlled by Adobe, sure.  I have a copy of PhotoShop CS2 from... a long time ago... that works exactly like it did when it was new.  As long as I have an operating system it works on, I can rely on having that toolset available to me.

There is no guarantee that Adobe CC will be available tomorrow, or that any functionality you rely on for your current workflow, will be available tomorrow.

It is entirely ephemeral, and you are relying on Adobe continuing to rent to you, at a resonable rate, the software that your actual livlihood may rely on.

If your business relies on "Software as a Service", you are entirely at the mercy of that Service.

Good luck.

"If your business relies on "Software as a Service", you are entirely at the mercy of that Service."

I would not worry about Adobe not being there.  It is a proven entity.   Even if it isn't, I don't use any cloud service. Never did, never will.  I do my own storage and backups. ALways have, always will. The latest PS/LR will also continue to work just as long as your CS2 did or does.

Also, good luck to your chosen path.

EB

Canon developed and marketed the 90D (with CR3) raw files and very poor support. I bought mine about a month ago and just yesterday have been able to download the cr3 files to my PC. Still do not have a decent way to process those files. I came onto this forfum a few days ago looking for help or advice and recieved a lot of gratuitous comments, but no real help. Canon screwed up, thats the blottom line. The 90D is a fantastic piece of technology, but Canon did a lousy job of training their techs and an even lousier job of informing customers of the technical dificulties they will encounter. 

@tinwhistle wrote:

Canon developed and marketed the 90D (with CR3) raw files and very poor support. I bought mine about a month ago and just yesterday have been able to download the cr3 files to my PC. Still do not have a decent way to process those files. I came onto this forfum a few days ago looking for help or advice and recieved a lot of gratuitous comments, but no real help. Canon screwed up, thats the blottom line. The 90D is a fantastic piece of technology, but Canon did a lousy job of training their techs and an even lousier job of informing customers of the technical dificulties they will encounter. 

EOS Utility has been able to download files, either via WiFi or USB, and open them in Digital Photo Professional 4, which has been able to process the CR3 files since before the 90D was released, and does a very nice job.

Current versions of Photoshop and Lightroom (not really a fan, see above) can handle CR3.  RawTherapee just released a version that handles CR3.

But those are 3rd party tools.  Canon shipped a working product, with a functional workflow.

Tinwhistle I totally agree with your comment!

" Canon is not responsible for writing Apple branded apps.  End of story."

Why is this concept so hard for people to understand?  Canon makes Canon work, Adobe makes Adobe work. Apple makes, well some of it's stuff, work.  Canon doesn't make Apple or Adobe work!

EB
Announcements