cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF card will not format

BrianB
Contributor
I just bought a used d50 it came with no cf card so I bought a Lexar professional 32 GB udma and a San Disk Extreme 64 GB udma7 when I put the sandisk in and try to formate the camera says can not formate card change card. And when I put the Lexar card in, the camera wont even turn on. can you tell me if I got a bad camera or is it a problem with it not being able to read those bigger cards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BrianB wrote:
Thats what I was hoping the problem was I will try lower capacity cards thank you will a filmware update help the problem

A firmware update will not upgrade the older hardware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@BrianB wrote:
I just bought a used d50 it came with no cf card so I bought a Lexar professional 32 GB udma and a San Disk Extreme 64 GB udma7 when I put the sandisk in and try to formate the camera says can not formate card change card. And when I put the Lexar card in, the camera wont even turn on. can you tell me if I got a bad camera or is it a problem with it not being able to read those bigger cards

I am guessing you may mean the EOS 50D camera.

The most likely problem is that your CF cards have a capacity that is way too large for the camera.  You need a FAT32 CF card.  There are not all that many of those still available for sale as new.  Look for cards with capacities in the 2-16GB range.

BrianB
Contributor
Thats what I was hoping the problem was I will try lower capacity cards thank you will a filmware update help the problem

@BrianB wrote:

A firmware update will not upgrade the older hardware.

Go to the Canon support site for the 50D. Looks like firmware 1.0.9 will update camera to accept more recent UDMA 7 CF cards. 

"Firmware Version 1.0.9 incorporates the following changes.
1. Optimizes the camera’s performance when using certain UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012 or later.
2. Corrects wording in the Dutch language menu screen"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"A firmware update will not upgrade the older hardware."

Actually in this case, it will.  I usually recommend you don't upgrade FW unless there is a benefit that you need.  You need this one. However, I also recommend you stick with 16GB or lower.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BrianB
Contributor
Ok thank you. I have ordered some 4 and 8 GB cards and also what do you think about using one of those SD to CF adapters. will they work or are they to slow

"...what do you think about using one of those SD to CF adapters."

Don't do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Many reports of problems with the use of adapters. Don’t risk your photos.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
"A firmware update will not upgrade the older hardware."

Actually in this case, it will. I usually recommend you don't upgrade FW unless there is a benefit that you need. You need this one. However, I also recommend you stick with 16GB or lower.

——————————————

Actually, it didn’t upgrade the hardware. It upgraded the firmware. The camera still has all the parts that it always did.

This is sort like your saying how an AFMA does not make a lens sharper.
Announcements