Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Buying a 70D body this week. Any lens suggestions would be VERY helpful.

Well that changes things.  A bit anyway.

@aholeinthewor1d wrote:
I'm sure the 15-55 is decent enough but doesn't make sense to buy another when she already has one.

Totally agree. Except for the decent enough part  Smiley Happy 

I don't know much about that Tamron, but you have two general purpose lenses, one of them STM for if you want to do video.  And assuming your gf lets you use her lenses.  And you even have something for low light.

I would either hold off or get a telephoto. Even the 55-250 kit lens.  It's not superb, but it's a nice little lens for the price.  Or, on the flip side, you could get the new 10-18 and go ultrawide.  Both are around $300.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try here.  I filtered by brand, mount, and price range.  

https://www.keh.com/search/list?n=147&category[]=Zoom+Lenses%2C+Mfg&mnt[]=9&mnt[]=11&price_min=10.00...

Your budget is really screaming "Previously owned!!".  I have had good luck with these guys.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Canon has a "refurbished" section on their website. The benefit is that their refurb products carry a 1 year warranty (which is the same as new products).

The link is: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

How about the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP

"How about the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?"

One of the real "sleepers" in the Canon line.  This lens does it all and very well considering it's price point.  Some call it the "Golden Boy" of lenses.  It is my next in line, to the 24-105mmf4 L, best buy in a Canon lens.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I was going to suggest the same.  In fact it's on sale at the refurbished site, I was just about to post the link when he mentioned that they already have two standard zooms.   Well, "they" is his girlfriend, but for now they have two.  Might as well expand your capabilities a bit instead of add a third.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

KEH.com has several of them also. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

After re-reading this part of your post: "family parties, holidays, pictures of my nephew and cousins"   I believe you will be better served by something wide and relatively fast as opposed to a longer zoom.  Unless your girlfriend is always with you, I think you might want to reconsider duplication of the 18-55.  That lens has the advantage of being available pretty cheap previously owned.  It will give you somehting to start with without cutting too deeply into your pocketbook and then you can begin saving up for something like a previously owned 24-70 F:2.8 or maybe one of the wider zooms.  It sounds to me like you will likely be capturing lots of images in relatively tight quarters and with the APS-C you are going to need a pretty short lens.  If you keep with it you are eventually going to want an L series lens so might as well save as much as you can now to start building.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Skirball wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I was going to suggest the same.  In fact it's on sale at the refurbished site, I was just about to post the link when he mentioned that they already have two standard zooms.   Well, "they" is his girlfriend, but for now they have two.  Might as well expand your capabilities a bit instead of add a third.

On a 70D, I think of the 28-135 as a moderate telephoto rather than a standard zoom. It goes 60mm longer than any lens "they" already have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

On a 70D, I think of the 28-135 as a moderate telephoto rather than a standard zoom. It goes 60mm longer than any lens "they" already have.

Sure.  And a 55-250 goes 175mm longer than any lens "they" already have.