cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a 70D body this week. Any lens suggestions would be VERY helpful.

aholeinthewor1d
Apprentice

I know a lot of people debate about getting a camera with a kit lens or getting the body and then a better lens. I am not asking about that. The deal I am getting through Adorama is for the body only so I have to get a separate lens. For right now I just want the best possible "general" lens I can get for a decent price. So I am considering getting the normal 18-55 STM lens that would normally come with the kit but I wanted some opinions about if there was anything better for the price or around the price. This is canons rebate form with some lenses and I would also consider 3rd party lens suggestions. http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/Canon_MIR_Nov_2014.pdf

If you had to get the body only please let me know what you would get for a general lens. If there is something similar to the kit lens price (or a little higher) that is better I would like to get that. Thank you!!

40 REPLIES 40

1. my shooting concern: portrait, landscape and indoor general but my goal is fine art photography and abstract photography.
2. for now i prefer to use 24-70 f4 at its macro mode and later on 100mm f2.8 as you mentioned for real macro.

Actually, were I you, since you mentioned "indoor",  I would be looking for a good, previously owned 24-70 F:2.8 rather than the F:4 as it will have better boca and, of course, it is a full stop faster and so more useful in lower light conditions.  KEH.com is probably the best place to check for the used equipment, they have a huge selection, good return policy and warranty.  Call them if you don't see what you are looking for on the site as their stock changes rapidly. 

mrz1342
Enthusiast
Dear scotty many thanks for your nice writing and useful tutorial advice. In conclusion i can go for 24-70 f4 + 17-55 f2.8 to cover mid-macro, portrait, landscape, mid-zoom aswell as lowlight and indoor shooting. Later on i can go for 70-200 f4 or 2.8 is usm if i really need that range. However at the time of changing my 70d to 5diii i can use these lenses except i need to change 17-55 to 100 f2.8 macro for better close up. Am i right?

"1. my shooting concern: portrait, landscape and indoor general but my goal is fine art photography and abstract photography.

2. for now i prefer to use 24-70 f4 at its macro mode and later on 100mm f2.8 as you mentioned for real macro.

... In conclusion i can go for 24-70 f4 + 17-55 f2.8 to cover mid-macro, portrait, landscape, mid-zoom aswell as lowlight and indoor shooting. Later on i can go for 70-200 f4 or 2.8 is usm if i really need that range. However at the time of changing my 70d to 5diii i can use these lenses except i need to change 17-55 to 100 f2.8 macro for better close up. Am i right?"

"Am i right?"

No you are not and have been told many times.  You are one dense cookie!  Smiley Surprised   I think you need to buy whatever you deem fit and learn by mistaken trail and error.  A lot of us learned that way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mrz:

I would recommend a 24-xx lens OR a 17-55. Not both. They are too similar to get both.

You are correct that the 17-55 won't work on ff like a 5d3. I have a 17-55 I love but never use because I went to full frame. If you feel sure you will make the switch perhaps you should start with all full frame lenses, or at least buy a used 17-55 so you can sell it for what you paid for it.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Mrz:

I would recommend a 24-xx lens OR a 17-55. Not both. They are too similar to get both.

You are correct that the 17-55 won't work on ff like a 5d3. I have a 17-55 I love but never use because I went to full frame. If you feel sure you will make the switch perhaps you should start with all full frame lenses, or at least buy a used 17-55 so you can sell it for what you paid for it.

It's worth remembering that a switch to FF doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing. I have one FF camera (a 5D3); and when I do 2-camera events, I use the 17-55 on a 7D and a 70-200 on the 5D3. Since 55 mm on the 7D has the equivalent reach of 88 mm in FF, the lenses overlap, but not by very much. So the two setups work well together.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

hi Robert, regarding macro and portrait shooting, since 100mm f2.8 macro is good for macro as well as portrait, why some of pro photographers prefer 50 or 85mm f1.4 and 1.8? just because of focal rang? or other technical reasons?

I'm done. Smiley Sad

EB

mrz1342
Enthusiast
If because of my stupid question, no worries, breath deeply and try me agin! I'm a good student 🙂

No, you are not.  You have been advised on several different threads about the very same issue.   Yet you still ask the same questions about the same equipment.

EB
Announcements