cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a 70D body this week. Any lens suggestions would be VERY helpful.

aholeinthewor1d
Apprentice

I know a lot of people debate about getting a camera with a kit lens or getting the body and then a better lens. I am not asking about that. The deal I am getting through Adorama is for the body only so I have to get a separate lens. For right now I just want the best possible "general" lens I can get for a decent price. So I am considering getting the normal 18-55 STM lens that would normally come with the kit but I wanted some opinions about if there was anything better for the price or around the price. This is canons rebate form with some lenses and I would also consider 3rd party lens suggestions. http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/Canon_MIR_Nov_2014.pdf

If you had to get the body only please let me know what you would get for a general lens. If there is something similar to the kit lens price (or a little higher) that is better I would like to get that. Thank you!!

40 REPLIES 40

Skirball
Authority

There really isn't a best lens.  There are so many options out there that you have to choose which is best for you and your needs.  I will, however, steer you away from the kit lens.  It's really not that good, it's not durable, and it's money that could be spent elsewhere.  If you're ok with a lower quality lens like this at least get something like the 18-135.  The image quality isn't spectacular, but at least you get a wide focal length range.

The next step up are lenses like the 17-55 2.8 and 15-85.  Both are EF-S lenses, but regarded for good image quality.  The 17-55 gives you shorter range, but a constant 2.8 aperture.  On the other side, you get more range with the 15-85 but you don't get the wide(ish) f/2.8 , nor the constant aperture.

The problem with both of these lenses is that they put you into another price category (they MSRP around $800, but you could get them refurbished or used for less).  For the same price you could get the 24-105 L.  It's a kit lens for full frame cameras so a lot of people buy the kit then sell off the lens, brand new.  You can get great deals ($600) on a really good lens.  Much better build quality than the above, and good image quality.  The downside is that 24mm isn't very wide on a crop sensor.  But you could supplement with the 10-18 or 10-22 if you really wanted the wide side.

How are you planning to use the camera? What do you anticipate being your primary subjects? What lenses do you already own if any?  What is your budget?  Would you be comfortable buying previously owned from a reputable seller like KEH.com?

good glass is expensive for a reason and they couldn't get the price if the lenses didn't deliver.  Previously owned L series can be had for "reasonable" prices and pretty much all the major retailers (Adorama, B&H, Roberts Imaging) have used departments.  KEH specializes in used.   I am a wildlife biologist by education and my very first lens was the old, manual focus 50mm f:3.5 macro.  Unbelievably sharp, but one did need light and good camera technique when using good old Kodachrome 25.  Perhaps a couple of prime lenses instead of a zoom might be a better choice.  Prime lenses, esp the L series tend to be optically better than the zooms (even the L series). 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There are some really good choices out there for lenses but the EFS 18-55mm is one I would not even consider.  Especially for a EOS 70D.  It is a step up camera compared to the Rebel line for which the above lens is intended.  It is always best to keep your equipment level in quality terms.

And if there is a "kit" out there that you like, that is the "best way" to get the lens the cheapest.

The EF 24-105mm f4 L is the best buy in the Canon line.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The 24-105 F:4 L is a good general lens, but it is too short to really reach out and on an APS-C body, not wide enough in tight quarters, and at F:4 a bit slow (but I carry several flashes including a Quantum Q-flash).  It is my general use lens and I use it for most of my people photography and also for livestock.  You still haven't told us how you are going to be using the camera.  Snapshots of kids, family, and friends?  Daughter's highschool basketball games?  Son's soccer matches?  Landscapes?  Birds?  Portraits?  Each of these would lead to a different recommendation.   A bit more input would lead to a better response on the part of those reading here. 

I also will again strongly recommend that you consider perviously owned glass.  You can even get good results on ebay (just be sure that the seller has a good return policy).  I bought my first 600 used, I bought my studio lights on ebay, one of. my 550EX's is used, one of my bodies is a refurb, and a friend who frequently shoots with me loves the 300 F:4 IS L which he  purchased used  (it is a great lens for wildlife and candids of his grand kids).   As an aside, in my opinion, the 300 F:4 IS L is the BEST entry level nature photography lens out there (and can be had used for well under $1000.00) 

wow thank you to everyone who responded right away!. I guess I should have put a little more detail in there. I am coming from an older Olympus E-500. I am going with canon for one because I like the 70D and also because my g/f recently bought an SL1 so we can share lenses.

It's been so long since I was really "into it" so it's hard to say exactly what I want to shoot. It will really be an all around camera for me. I like doing landscapes/night photography and I also ride BMX so it will be used to take pics/vids for that occasionally. It really will be just about everywhere with me..

family parties, holidays, pictures of my nephew and cousins

That's why I used the word "general" when asking about a lens..I do care a lot about image quality and also don't think I need/want a huge zoom right now. My g/f currently has 3 lenses

-Canon 15-55 STM (kit)

-Canon 50mm f/1.8

-Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

I might just order the body tonight and continue to do some research..for now I was thinking somewhere in the $300-$350 range for my first lens. I'm sure the 15-55 is decent enough but doesn't make sense to buy another when she already has one. Just want the best possible balance between image quality and reach for this price range. Constant aperture would be nice but I don't think I will find that at my price

Well that changes things.  A bit anyway.

@aholeinthewor1d wrote:
I'm sure the 15-55 is decent enough but doesn't make sense to buy another when she already has one.

Totally agree. Except for the decent enough part  🙂 

I don't know much about that Tamron, but you have two general purpose lenses, one of them STM for if you want to do video.  And assuming your gf lets you use her lenses.  And you even have something for low light.

I would either hold off or get a telephoto. Even the 55-250 kit lens.  It's not superb, but it's a nice little lens for the price.  Or, on the flip side, you could get the new 10-18 and go ultrawide.  Both are around $300.

Try here.  I filtered by brand, mount, and price range.  

https://www.keh.com/search/list?n=147&category[]=Zoom+Lenses%2C+Mfg&mnt[]=9&mnt[]=11&price_min=10.00...

Your budget is really screaming "Previously owned!!".  I have had good luck with these guys.

Canon has a "refurbished" section on their website. The benefit is that their refurb products carry a 1 year warranty (which is the same as new products).

The link is: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

How about the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements