cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Used Canon EOS 80D w/ 3 Lenses - Advice Needed

enelaura1
Apprentice

Hi All!

I recently came across a great deal on a Canon EOS 80D with 3 lenses (55-250mm, 75-300mm, 50mm) selling for $1,000. This seems like a steal but wanted to get the community opinion. The person selling is upgrading to a new camera and apparently has only had this one for a year. I have a friend who has the same camera and bought it last year for $2,500 with just one lens.

I'm a beginner and don't know much about what to look for when purchasing a used camera, any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@enelaura1wrote:

Hi All!

I recently came across a great deal on a Canon EOS 80D with 3 lenses (55-250mm, 75-300mm, 50mm) selling for $1,000. This seems like a steal but wanted to get the community opinion. The person selling is upgrading to a new camera and apparently has only had this one for a year. I have a friend who has the same camera and bought it last year for $2,500 with just one lens.

I'm a beginner and don't know much about what to look for when purchasing a used camera, any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Don’t buy it, most especially from online auction sites.  Don’t buy used until you know what you looking at and for.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

New, that's a hair over $500.00 in lenses and up to $1,000.00 for the camera body.  A bit less if you buy the camera and the 18-55 lens together.  It's probably a decent price for used.  You could probably get a hundred off, especially buying all of it together. 

The 75-300 is junk though. I'd rather take the camera and the other two lenses and have him deduct a hundred or a bit more. 

How is it being sold?  Craigslist?  Can you examine and try out the camera and lenses?  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

lly3988
Rising Star

Why not try refurbished 80D with kit lens from Canon estore ? The 75-300mm lens is basically useless. The other two, if not STM version, can be purchased used at very low price - may be less than $150. For around $850, you can almost buy a new 80D with warranty.

If you want to have a look at the used package, make sure you check everything before you commit to buy.

https://petapixel.com/2010/10/08/checklist-for-buying-used-cameras-and-lenses-on-craigslist/

Who told you that the price of 80D with one lens is $2500 last year ? This is nonsense. Unless the package is with an expensive L lens.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Not a good deal.

You can get an 80D from the Canon online store in the refurbished section as a "body only" (no lens) for $799 (currently out of stock) or ... you can get it bundled with the EF-S 18-55mm STM lens for $849.   

That's a MUCH better deal for two reasons.

#1... it's from the Canon line store which means it comes with a warranty (the same warranty as if it were "new")

and

#2... gear from the Canon "refurbished" section of their online store are generally not distinguishiable as being any different than "new" retail product (other than they come in generic boxes instead of the colorful retail boxes.)

Basically you'd get a camera that has been checked out and you can have the confidence to know it's a solid working camera that looks brand new and ALSO comes with the same warranty so if for any reason there's a problem, Canon will handle it for you.

About those lenses...

The three lenses are probably not great lenses... here's why:

The 75-300 is possibly one of the weakest optical designs in the Canon lineup.  It's not a great lens.  There are other lenses with similar focal length ranges that are much better.

The 55-250 has been replaced with a new "STM" version.  The STM version has the new STepper Motor and is faster and much quieter (it's virtually silent) as compared to the old 55-250 IS and 55-250 IS II versions of the lens (the non-STM versions).  

The 50mm f/1.8 (there's a 50mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.2L but those are much more expensive) had an excellent "optical" design, but a poor physical build and a poor aperture design (5-bladed non-rounded aperture that created a pentagon-shaped aperture.  This created a very poor quality out-of-focus blur.)  Canon updated this lens with an improved build quality, the new STM focus motors, but the really big upgrade was that they went to a 7-bladed aperture which provides a very noticeable improvement to the quality of out-of-focus blur.  The original aperture had a very jittery blur... the new design has a much smoother blur.  The price is about the same and this new 50mm f/1.8 STM version sells for just $125 (probably the best bargain in the Canon lens lineup).

However... if someone bought a new camera and is parting with three lenses, my guess is that these aren't the newer "STM" versions of the lenses, but more likely the old non-STM versions.

There's such a huge overlap between the 55-250 vs. the 75-300 that there's not a strong reason to own both.  Also, the used camera you found doesn't have anything with a normal focal length for the 80D (27mm is "normal" ... which is why the kit lens is an 18-55mm because it offers a little bit on the wide-angle side and a little bit on the narrow-angle side of "normal" for that camera ... making it a good general purpose lens.)

I would probably go after the deal on the Canon refurbished store:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

There is an alternate kit configuration that uses the 18-135mm STM lens instead of the 18-55mm lens.  That configuration is $1100 in the Canon refurb section of the store.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I recently came across a great deal ... selling for $1,000."

A great deal for the seller.  Not so much for you.  Offer him $800 or pass on it.

" I have a friend who has the same camera and bought it last year for $2,500 with just one lens."

Yes, possibly but not for the kit you described.  If he goes for the 4800 offer, make sure you test it and try it out first.  Try everything.  The ef 55-250mm zoom is a decent lens.  You will like it.  The others not so much which doesn't lend them to holding much value used.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements