cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built-in flash us not working

rose11
Apprentice
My canon eos 600D was working all well and good but i had used the flash for most of the pictures for a few days in a row. Suddenly it stopped working. As in the flash would pop up but the screen would show the message "Busy". After quite some research i tried to charge the camera, clean the possible areas with a brush and so on but it hasn't worked upto this day. Is there any other way i can fix it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Both the flash tube AND also the charge capacitor can go bad, the light duty charge capacitors found in compact and in-camera flashes are highly susceptible to expiring from overheating when run at a high duty cycle like you described.  They generate significant heat when charging and discharging and can't stand up to a high duty cycle unlike studio flash units which have physically larger capacitors designed for this type of service and most also have forced air cooling.

A capacitor which has deteriorated due to heat will no longer be able to charge to the desired voltage causing the charge circuitry to remain in a continuous charging mode with the flash not functioning.

If you try to tackle this yourself, use caution both for the camera and yourself.  Even if the capacitor bank is the issue, a failing capacitor can still store a significant charge because the voltage from the camera battery is raised to several hundred volts to "fire" the Xenon flash tube when triggered via its excitation input.  It isn't what I would consider a do it yourself project unless you already have experience working around cramped circuitry that generates and uses high voltage.  If you are considering doing this, leave the camera with the battery removed for several days and then SAFELY discharge any storage caps in the flash area via a resistor rather than just shorting the capacitor which can cause damage to it and other components. 

There are many ways to hurt yourself and/or the camera and unless you have knowledge and experience in this area then it is best left to a proper service center.  I have repaired a lot of complex electronics items and I am comfortable around high voltage but that is because I understand the circuitry AND I take proper precautions, neither is optional.  A charged capacitor in a strobe circuit will expose you to sufficient voltage to overcome skin resistance with the ability to easily supply sufficient current to stop the heart muscle or even worse cause arrhythmia.  I would use the same caution working on one of my Canon speedlights or Hensel studio strobes as I do with high power tube type transmitting gear because either can be easily lethal.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rose11 wrote:
My canon eos 600D was working all well and good but i had used the flash for most of the pictures for a few days in a row. Suddenly it stopped working. As in the flash would pop up but the screen would show the message "Busy". After quite some research i tried to charge the camera, clean the possible areas with a brush and so on but it hasn't worked upto this day. Is there any other way i can fix it?

Take a look in the viewfinder for any flashing or blinking icons.  Yoiu may have to press th shutter to "wake it up."  My guess is that the flash circuitry is trying to recharge, and that you need to recharge your battery.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rose11
Apprentice
I did keep my battery for charging but it still showed the same error also there weren't any blinking icons, when i press the shutter once it focuses on the subject and then the flash pops up and shows the busy error and when i press it again it clicks the picture but the picture is too dark without the flash

Flash tubes do burn out. Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, i will, but will that cost me more for the repair? or can i fix it myself?

Both the flash tube AND also the charge capacitor can go bad, the light duty charge capacitors found in compact and in-camera flashes are highly susceptible to expiring from overheating when run at a high duty cycle like you described.  They generate significant heat when charging and discharging and can't stand up to a high duty cycle unlike studio flash units which have physically larger capacitors designed for this type of service and most also have forced air cooling.

A capacitor which has deteriorated due to heat will no longer be able to charge to the desired voltage causing the charge circuitry to remain in a continuous charging mode with the flash not functioning.

If you try to tackle this yourself, use caution both for the camera and yourself.  Even if the capacitor bank is the issue, a failing capacitor can still store a significant charge because the voltage from the camera battery is raised to several hundred volts to "fire" the Xenon flash tube when triggered via its excitation input.  It isn't what I would consider a do it yourself project unless you already have experience working around cramped circuitry that generates and uses high voltage.  If you are considering doing this, leave the camera with the battery removed for several days and then SAFELY discharge any storage caps in the flash area via a resistor rather than just shorting the capacitor which can cause damage to it and other components. 

There are many ways to hurt yourself and/or the camera and unless you have knowledge and experience in this area then it is best left to a proper service center.  I have repaired a lot of complex electronics items and I am comfortable around high voltage but that is because I understand the circuitry AND I take proper precautions, neither is optional.  A charged capacitor in a strobe circuit will expose you to sufficient voltage to overcome skin resistance with the ability to easily supply sufficient current to stop the heart muscle or even worse cause arrhythmia.  I would use the same caution working on one of my Canon speedlights or Hensel studio strobes as I do with high power tube type transmitting gear because either can be easily lethal.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

rose11
Apprentice
Thank you so much for the details, i will contact a nearby canon store to help me fix it since i am not great with it. Thank you again

You are welcome Rose!  Cameras can always be repaired or replaced, not so with people.

Canon also offers a program for camera upgrades through their online store so this might be a good opportunity for new gear 🙂

Rodger

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements