cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brightness of Photos

messyla
Contributor

Hi there!

Would love some help. Recently when I take a picture, it looks bright on my screen (5d mark iii) but when I upload to my computer (mac book pro) it is really dull.

It used to be absolutely perfect but suddenly has started to do this. Has something adjusted when it's in my bag or is there a setting I need to turn off? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Lara. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks so much.

Where would you reccomend the brightness to be on that scale - the middle, as in the picture?

Currently mine is at the top! which might explain it. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Have you made any changes in your workflow, such as a different software program?

Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW?

When you say "dull" is it brightness or colors that you are talking about?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for replying Jrhoffman75! 

No changes in program. Shooting in JPEG.

The brightness, it's completely different to how it is on the screen of the camera. Smiley Sad

Thanks again 

Which software? Can you post a screen shot? Everything else looks OK on computer? What happens if you open a previously downloaded photo?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I've taken a photo with my phone of the LCD screen. IMG_5207.JPG

and here's how it ended up when viewing on the computer. 

9N4A7526 2.JPG

Simply viewing with Preview on Mac. Which is what i've always done to view/select the images before putting them into photoshop. Was fine about 2 weeks ago, now suddenly not working. 

I'm not sure what to advise. The computer image looks good to me, but it is less bright than camera LCD. I can't think of any setting on camera that would alter a recorded image during download. You could check and see if the camera LCD brightness got shifted and/or MacBook brightness was changed. (This isn't for 5D Mark III, but it should be close to your menu.)

Maybe someone else has some thoughts as well.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks so much.

Where would you reccomend the brightness to be on that scale - the middle, as in the picture?

Currently mine is at the top! which might explain it. 

Monitor has to be calibrated sometimes.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That would be it. Start at the middle setting and adjust up or down till it looks best. I always have mine on the middle setting.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Wow! thank you so much for taking the time to help. I really really appreciate it. 

Announcements