Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Breakthrough ND Filters

I am looking to purchase a Breakthrough ND filter and was wondering if anyone has tried the 2x vs 4x and compared?  I would like to save the extra $50, however I am not sure if it is worth it seeing how I am strapping it to high quality glass.

Highlighted
VIP

Re: Breakthrough ND Filters

@xzebra wrote:

I am looking to purchase a Breakthrough ND filter and was wondering if anyone has tried the 2x vs 4x and compared?  I would like to save the extra $50, however I am not sure if it is worth it seeing how I am strapping it to high quality glass.

Breakthrough?  Reviews at B&H are pretty consistent, 5 stars is the average.  At B&H, a lot of pros give pretty objective and authoritative reviews and ratings on the professional grade stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Understood - Just wondered if there was a significant difference between the x2 and x4.

Thanks,
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

I haven't used them. But I believe...

Breakthrough X4 use Shcott glass, have 16-layer "nano" multi-coating and are in  brass frames.

Breaktrhough X2 uses a different type of optical glass, is also nano-coated and is in an aluminum frame.

Personally, I prefer the B+W XS-Pro (16-layer multi-coating, slim frame) or F-Pro/MRC (8-layers, standard frame). Both use Schott glass and brass frames, and they cost a little less than the comparable Breakthrough filters.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Highlighted
VIP

"I prefer the B+W XS-Pro ..."

Me too! Smiley Happy  Good stuff.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all - I will take a look at the B+W .
I do have a B+W XS Pro polarizer and like it quite a bit.
Just didn't know how the ND compared to the Breakthrough, but sounds like the B+W is liked well.