cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Canon M50 Problem?

meghansul
Apprentice

Hello All, 

I recently just purchased a brand new Canon M50 from Hunts Photo. I noticed when looking a the viewfinder/screen when trying to shoot in low lighting I get these lines across my screen (see attached picture.) Not sure this is normal or maybe the ISO isn't high enough. I'm relatively new to mirrorless cameras so I am still getting my barings with this camera. Let me know if you think this is an issue or something I should expect with lowlighting and the M50.

Thanks!

Meghan 

M50 low light issues

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Which lines are you talking about?

I'm posting a link to the video that I posted on Reddit so you can get a better idea what i'm talking about. I'm talking about all the lines/bars I see in the screen/viewfinder while getting ready to take a picture in a low-light area. The lines even appear when the camera is on with the lens cap still on the lens.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canon/comments/a0m02a/canon_m50_problems/

Definitely an electronic fault with the camera, it should not be doing this. There is nothing you can do yourself with this and needs to be sent for repair.

diverhank
Authority

If they only appear in low light on the viewfinder and not your pictures I don't think you need to worry about it.  If it shows up in the pictures, you should return it immediately.

I don't have the M50 but I've read about similar reports for Canon mirrorless.  It might have to do with flickering flourescent and LED lights or just noisy circuitry or both.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you for all your help. Will probably return for a new once since the camera is only three days old. 

arnauasitto
Contributor

@meghansul wrote:

Hello All, 

I recently just purchased a brand new Canon M50 from Hunts Photo. I noticed when looking a the viewfinder/screen when trying to shoot in low lighting I get these lines across my screen (see attached picture.) Not sure this is normal or maybe the ISO isn't high enough. Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime I'm relatively new to mirrorless cameras so I am still getting my barings with this camera. Let me know if you think this is an issue or something I should expect with lowlighting and the M50.

Thanks!

Meghan 

M50 low light issues

the camera is on with the lens cap still on the lens.

Announcements