cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought New EOS 80D But Suspect That I Received A Unit That Was Returned By Someone Else.

Philomath
Contributor
I just purchased a New Canon EOS 80D body only and a new Canon lens separately.

There is a mail-in warranty post card for the lens in the box for the lens.

There is NO mail-in postcard for the warranty for the camera body in the box for the camera body.
There is NO DVD with software in the box for the camera body.
The camera instuction books were NOT in a sealed plastic envelope in the box for the camera body, they were just stacked inside a pocket in the box.
There was NOT any color advertising pamphlets in the box for the camera body.

I am wondering if I got a unit that was returned by someone else and not all of the items were returned with it.

Can anyone please tell me if there is supposed to be a mail-in warranty card in the box for the 80D body only?
Can anyone please tell me if there is supposed to be a dvd with software in the 80D body only box?
Can anyone please tell me if the instruction books are supposed to come in a sealed plastic envelope for the 80D body only?
Can anyone please tell me if there is supposed to be any advertising pamphlets in the box for the 80D body only?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear Stephen,

Thank you and thanks to everyone else who has replied to me on this wonderful forum.

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice.

With my last question answered I will now mark this solved.

Now I just have to figure out how to put the film into this camera.  LOL !  Only kidding.  Smiley Wink

Till next time. 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

But if you could tell me how to check the shutter count, that would be interesting and useful to me and to anyone else who buys a new or used DSLR.

Google free shutter count and you will find several free program for the purpose.

Thank you.

I thought it was some menu option in one of the Canon provided programs.

I'll search around for one.

Many thanks.

@Philomath wrote:

Thank you.

I thought it was some menu option in one of the Canon provided programs.

I'll search around for one.

Many thanks.

Only our very high-end EOS cameras have the option to display their shutter count. The theory is that the people that use those cameras will want to have maintenance performed every so many shutter actuations, kind of like having the oil changed on your car. For those of us who don't own such gear, we send our gear in as needed, or on a schedule that fits our workflow. 

Any software you'll find online doesn't read the camera's actual shutter count. If you're ever in need of an accurate shutter count, the best bet is to send it in to one of our Factory Service Centers, where a technician can connect the camera to a diagnostic computer and get the shutter count that way. 

Thanks Stephen.

You saved me from posting a future question, "Why can't I see my shutter count with any of these programs.  LOL !  Man Happy

Crista
Whiz

Hi Philomath! 

Thanks for joining and posting in the Canon Forums! We understand you have some concerns about what should be included with your brand new EOS 80D. 

If you purchased the EOS 80D body only then this is what should be in the box:
EOS 80D Body
Battery Pack LP-E6N
Battery Charger LC-E6
Eyecup Eb 
Wide Strap

The Limited Warranty card is printed on either postcard sized paper or larger tri-fold paper. We recommend checking to make sure the serial number on the camera matches with the number on the Limited Warranty card and on the box. Canon USA does not require you to mail in the Limited Warranty card for registration or warranty coverage. You'll just want to hold onto a copy of your sales receipt or order invoice for warranty purposes. 

If you have any other questions or concerns about your camera, our Email Team can be reached on holidays and weekends HERE.

We hope this helps! 

Dear Crista,

Thank you for clearing up some of this for me.

"The Limited Warranty card is printed on either postcard sized paper or larger tri-fold paper." 

I thought that postcard was the only official document. I do have the larger tri-fold pages. Now I understand.

Since you do not list any CD / DVD, I am now of the understanding I am expected to download the software from the Canon website.

In re-examining the contents, (for probably the fifth time now  Smiley Happy), I found a "Register Online" pamphlet stuck to the back of the French / Spanish Basic Manual.

Can you clear up my final two questions on this, (and also for anyone else who might have the same concerns)?

The box contains the Basic Manual and the Spanish / French Basic Manual and they are just stacked in there.

There is not any plastic envelope containing them like I have seen in numerous unboxing videos on Youtube,

and there is no advanced manual.

Is there supposed to be the more advanced manual in the box also?

Or is it expected that I would download that from the Canon website?

Finally, are the manuals supposed to have been in a plastic envelope as I have seen on Youtube?

Thanks for your help.

My T6s came with a CD in sealed plastic.  Its user guide (book) was not sealed.  Also came with transfer cable in sealed bag.  US warranty card with printed serial number in the box.

My 6D2 didn't come with any CD's or cables.  The user guide was not sealed either.  US warranty card with printed serial number in the box.  

I purchased my T6s from BestBuy - no doubt in my mind it wasn't brand new. (not sold and returned)

I purchased my 6D2 from B&H, again no doubt in my mind it wasn't brand new. (not sold and retuned)

The camera should have a printed warranty card for USA...  if it doesn't, return it, exchange it, whatever but a US product should have a card period. Up to you...  Me, it would go back.

I did just buy a Sigma 150-600 with 1.4x kit (directly from Sigma).  Its US warranty card had both items listed, but I think only one serial number...  The one on the lens...  the 1.4x has a serial number as well.  It comes in a giant box and its clearly a kit "package", and is labeled as such.   

While I don't use the cards themselves, I register everything online, I expect to see a US warranty card in the box with my purchase.  B&H is reputable.  I wouldn't expect something like this from them.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Dear shadowsports,

Thanks for the info.

Was your warranty card the mail-in postcard or was it the Tri-fold Printed Paper?

The reason I am asking is I am trying to get an idea of what is being packed by the manufacturer lately.

Since Crista works for Canon, I take her at her words, and since your manuals were not plastic enveloped, then my unit is probably not a returned box.

It would be good if the manufacturers would show what documentation is in the box and how it is packed as well as the hardware since there is so much gray market, stripping, and premature failure returns in the industry. It makes buyers like me very wary.

Years ago I bought a superzoom point and shoot from Costco. When I opened the box in the parking lot it looked like someone had returned it and it had been repacked. I went back in the store and asked the staff. They claimed it was brand new and untouched. When I got home and charged the battery and powered it on, I found several pictures of the home and  family of the person who had bought and returned it stored in internal memory. Everything on the camera appeared to work well and so I kept it and still have and use it. But I always remember that strange feeling I got when I opened the box in the parking lot finding things not packed like from a factory, and the annoyance I felt when I found someone else's pictures inside after being told by staff it was brand new.

Manufacturers have moved away from packing a CD with their equipment because CD drives have practically become obsolete, and because of the wide variety of Operating Systems that they want to support.  

Everything is web based now, even some software is a web based, subscription service.  

Packing the full manual adds to the printing cost.  It also increases the size of the box, which increases the cost.  Again, most people seem to want an electronic copy so that they can always have it handy, which also saves space in the home.

B&H is a stellar reputation for Customer Service.  It would not surprise me if they sold more Canon gear than any other US vendor.  Their web site describes what comes packed on the box on the product page..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Philomath... 6D2 - tri-fold printed with serial number.  T6s, mail-able printed postcard.

And like Waddizzle states..  90% of manufacturers now don't include downloadable software.  There is just no point to it.   

As long as you received the printed tri-fold warranty paper (USA Warranty) you're fine.  I would only feel funny if no US documentation was present.  My previous post was based of believing you didn't get a document at all.  I think you're fine. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements