cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry photos - help EOS60D

Roxana25
Apprentice
I have an EOS60D body and a 55-80mm and 55-200mm lens. Every time I take photos I fix my ios, shutter speed and aperture however the pictures never come out sharp even when I have it on auto focus. The pixelated quality is more evident when you zoom in. Please help, I don’t know to resolve this and want my photos to be sharp! Is there an internal setting I don’t know about that may be causing this issue?? Your advice is truly appreciated and needed 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It could be one of several reasons. More information is needed.

For example, are you moving and thus the camera is moving in relation to your subject?  Is your subject moving and camera set to use a slower shutter speed? Are you using focus and recompose with very shallow depth of field which can be challenging?

Try this...  place your camera and some object with nice amount of detail in it on a table. Use autofocus to start. Pick an aperture of say f/4 to f/5.6 (or whatever is in the middle of the range). Can you capture sharp images?  Try some different distances between the camera and subject. Then repeat with manual focus.  If no sharp images can be captured, it may be faulty equipment. 

Also, do you have any filter on the lens?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Roxana25
Apprentice
Hello,
Thank you so much for responding. This happens all the time, when I take portraits and photos on my tripod so I don’t think I am moving my camera that much. However, I haven’t tried focusing and capturing very shallow depths of field so i’ll see what that looks like and I will also try what you suggested and see what the results are.

No, I do not have any lens, would that help sharpen my images?

Hi Roxana,

Do you have a sample photo or two we can reference? If you can provide shooting settings as well we may be able to get a better idea of what is going on, but even one or two sample images should give us some more insight as to what exactly is causing your images to be blurry or out of focus. Since two lenses show the same issue I am thinking this may just be settings related.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Roxana25 wrote:
I have an EOS60D body and a 55-80mm and 55-200mm lens. Every time I take photos I fix my ios, shutter speed and aperture however the pictures never come out sharp even when I have it on auto focus. The pixelated quality is more evident when you zoom in. Please help, I don’t know to resolve this and want my photos to be sharp! Is there an internal setting I don’t know about that may be causing this issue?? Your advice is truly appreciated and needed 🙂

What lenses are you using again?  I guess those are typo errors..  Pleaase, if you can, post a sample photo and state what the ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture settings were.  Try taking a photo outdoors on a bright sunny day, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Now for the better solution.  Reset the camera, menus, tools, clear all settings and all custom settings. Now set the camera to "P" mode. ISO set to 200 and average WB. Large jpg.  Make sure the lens is set to AF.   Go outside on a nice sunny day and take some shots.  A dozen or more at different subjects. If the pictures are good and sharp, then then is nothing wrong with the camera or lens.

Keep in mind you do not have super sharp lenses but they will do a pretty nice job.  Keep your evaluation reasonable. If the pictuers are still not sharp come back here and report.  Better yet u/l a sample ot two.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I'm assuming that you mean zooming in on your monitor. Are you viewing your images at 100% magnification, or at a higher value?

100% should be the maximum amount of zoom to check for sharpness. At this level one pixel of your image is represented by only one pixel on your monitor. At 200% or higher magnification the monitor has to interpolate each image pixel and determine a way to display it as a larger group of pixels on your monitor. Since there's a certain amount of "guesswork" involved, sharpness suffers and pixelation can become obvious.

Announcements