cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry photos 60D-70-300 IS USM 4-5.6

Robodot
Enthusiast

So the only solution to the canon problem is moving back to Lumix cameras.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I take pictures of flowers and birds handheld on the fly, this canon camera does a very poor job of it, i will just sell all of it and go back to the Lumix.

thanks for your interest

View solution in original post

well here it is ladies and gentlmen, $%^&^&*(*&*(&_(*_)(_+, yes you heard right, i am throwing my hands up, I give up. At 100 feet, which is usually where the birds are, i can not get a decent picture and all of them are not usable, frankly they are all trash. been doing this since high school, hobby,  I have tried everything, every possible thing you folks and myself can imagine, no more. it should not be anywhere this difficult, I should be able to hand brace this camera at 300mm at 100 feet and take tack sharp photos, never have and never will.

thanks for trying to help

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That is the right thing to do. That equipment is fulky capable of what you are trying to photograph.

I don’t like criticizing people’s gear, but a tripod that flexes and takes seconds to stabilize isn’t going to cut it for serious photography.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

OK, canon wants to charge me $700 just to test the 2 lenses and the body, then they want to charge me for any repair on top of that, well that aint gonna happen, street value is half that. goodby canon forever, hello Lumix, again, they have always been good to me, 3 year warranty etc. 

@Robodot wrote:

OK, canon wants to charge me $700 just to test the 2 lenses and the body, then they want to charge me for any repair on top of that, well that aint gonna happen, street value is half that. goodby canon forever, hello Lumix, again, they have always been good to me, 3 year warranty etc. 

You are welcome to do what you see best.  Just remember, the 60D was released in 2010, so compare it LUMIX bodies from 2010, not the latest releases.  Current Canon bodies outperform the 60D by a wide margin.

As for any issues with your tripod or a plastic camera body goes, I would doubt if they are issues.  But, how gear is put to use can vary from one user to the next.  If you are confident in your tripod and head, continue to use it.  

If not, set the camera on a table, and enable the 10 second shutter delay.  With a quality tripod and head, whether or not the body is plastic or titanium will not make any difference.

[EDIT]. Focus testing can be deceptively complicated.  It can test your skills as a photography just as much as it tests the performance of your camera and lens.  Testing is not quite as simple and routine as might seem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Interesting that OP has deleted ost of his posts. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I just left the ones that might help other people when purchasing a Canon DSLR. No matter their skill level they should:

1. If it does not work when you open the box exchange at the store.

2. If it still does not work exchange it for a different brand. 

3. A $1800 camera outfit should work perfectly from day one.

4. Consider an extended warranty (I never use them myself, it might have helped here). 

Since there were no real solutions to the problem (except for sending it in to Canon (at a cost more than it's worth) the other posts by me would have helped no one.  

Just so they understand that I have tried every possible thing in my testing and use of this camera. I am using a very exspensive tripod system, my technique for holding and using the camera is perfect, so it has to be the Canon camera!

Well let me send a sample of a photo from a 2010 Lumix and you will see it is far superior to this Canon. 

With all my Lumix cameras 90% of the photos I took were sharp, I am lucky to get 1% sharp photos from this Canon. This is a photo selected at random from 2008, uncropped, unedited (I dont like editing photos, what you see is what you get) and taken with the Lumix FZ50, full zoom (500mm equivalent, 100 + feet from car window handheld (its funny how I can remember where, when and how each photo was taken). I dont know why DPP did not list the zoom but it was full zoom.

File Name Raptor1 (59).jpg
File Size 2.2MB
Camera Model Name DMC-FZ50
Shooting Date/Time 1/19/2008 3:21:45 PM
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/400
Av (Aperture Value) 6.3
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Image Size 3264x2448
Color Space sRGB
Comment Raptor1 (59).jpg

Hmmm I wonder if its that cheap plastic body on the 60D that causes that tripod vibration proble??

No. Cheap tripods cause tripod wobble.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Do you think my Bogen/Manfrotto tripod gear is cheap crap?? 

Announcements