cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry photos 60D-70-300 IS USM 4-5.6

Robodot
Enthusiast

So the only solution to the canon problem is moving back to Lumix cameras.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I take pictures of flowers and birds handheld on the fly, this canon camera does a very poor job of it, i will just sell all of it and go back to the Lumix.

thanks for your interest

View solution in original post

well here it is ladies and gentlmen, $%^&^&*(*&*(&_(*_)(_+, yes you heard right, i am throwing my hands up, I give up. At 100 feet, which is usually where the birds are, i can not get a decent picture and all of them are not usable, frankly they are all trash. been doing this since high school, hobby,  I have tried everything, every possible thing you folks and myself can imagine, no more. it should not be anywhere this difficult, I should be able to hand brace this camera at 300mm at 100 feet and take tack sharp photos, never have and never will.

thanks for trying to help

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Is lens in AF? Are apertures the same? What about shutter speed?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

well i tried everything I know how to do, after a reset now all the photos are equally blurry no matter what mode or setting is used, i guess that is some progress. the Lumix puts this camera to shame !!

Did it just start? Any other lens to try?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Sharp Lumix.JPGBlurry sample.JPGShort lens.JPG

all 3 taken at 75 feet, the first one is the gold standard (in my eye) the Lumix hand held at full zoom (750mm) 20 such shots came out like this, second one is the 70-300 (300mm) on tripod (best one) and the third is the short 28-135 (135) on tripod, best one.

I take pictures of flowers and birds handheld on the fly, this canon camera does a very poor job of it, i will just sell all of it and go back to the Lumix.

thanks for your interest

@Robodot wrote:

after extensive testing, it appears there is no defect, it just is not made to be handheld at 300mm, this lens needs a lot of light to be able to use auto focus. just removing the hood made the pictures sharper and unless you are outside in very bright conditions you can forget about hand holding it at 300mm, i think it is the nature of the beast. I was able to get decent results on a tripod, a very good one, if i let it settle down before taking a picture.

I take pictures of flowers and birds on the fly, this does a very poor job of it, i will just sell all of it and go back to the lumix.

thanks for your interest

Maybe there is something wrong with your IS.  You should be able to easily handhold that lens at 1/500 shutter speeds without IS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I do not understand why you shoot in manual mode.  The camera/lens combo is perfectly capable of auto focusing.  Of course, AF point selection and AF mode can make all of the difference, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thats "manual mode" with AF

Multiple variables makes it hard to identify a problem/solution.

If you are getting sharp images handheld at 1/1000 w/o IS try switching on IS and reduce Tv to 1/500 and 1/250. If you don't egt similarly sharp images at 1 or 2 f/stops down IS would be suspect.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements