cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Line on Photos at high Shutter

athorat
Apprentice

Got this new canon5d markiv on amazon and sometimes at high shutter speed it gives a distinct black line in between the photos. is this ok at high shutter speed assuming light not passing through? but should it not darken all the image instead of just one black strip?

shutter speed 1/1600 f7.1 iso400

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156126577@N03/39992084913/in/pool-canondslr/

shutter speed 1/300 f7.1 iso400 works fine 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156126577@N03/46042557115/in/dateposted-public/

18 REPLIES 18

This is done so that you have 220 available where you need it (like an electric oven) and 110 for most of the house.

"... it is almost always a 220v line which is split into two 110v "phases"

I know of no instance where a USA house gets a single 220v line.  It is always two 110v lines. Each is 180 degrees out of phase with the other.  These two seperate lines a connected to seperate poles on our 200v receptibles. Breaker panels have two busses so there is two seperate legs each 110v.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Nonsense. As said above, they all get a center-tapped 220 V signal that is split at the center tap into two 110 V circuits.

"Nonsense."   I don't know what you consider nonsense but this is how it works in Kansas at least.

There are two hot wires and a neutral wire. The hot wires each carry 120 volts and are different phases. These phases are normally called "A" and "B" phases. The total voltage, when measured between them, is around 240 volts. Therefor two lines coming in not a single one. It has nothing to do with what happens before the transformer. That's it and this a a photography board not an electrical engineering board.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That's it and this a a photography board not an electrical engineering board.

That's true but it has answered my query, I am now much better informed, thankyou.

I *am* an Electrical Engineer.

Where do you think the two phases come from? Do you have two transformers? If you really had two "separate" phases you would have 4 wires coming into the box.

Do you even know what "Center-tapped Transformer" means?

BTW some LED lighting use full wave rectification so the flicker rate is at 120 HZ.

@athorat wrote:

Thanks for the reply guys, the subject is not moving just the angle  while shooting makes it feel like. 

This had happened previously even in my living room and dismissed but now its bothering....

If you look at this snap, its big glass sphere and has glass blown LED light inside.  which circular (moving klike motion inside)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156126577@N03/33088114408/in/dateposted-public/

I was underneath this big glass ball and shot vertically.  

If light flicker is the problem, I am pretty sure the 5D4 has “Flicker Compensation” that you can enable.  It can help with multiple light sources that are flickering in synch, but not with multiple sources that are out of synch.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I didn't expect this to turn into a discussion on electrical systems, but there you go.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic ... but a YouTube channel I enjoy had an espisode that explained a bit about the UK's crazy bulky power plug and how, when you a buy a common appliance (such as a toaster) it doesn't actually include a plug, you have to wire the plug on yourself (is this still true in the UK?)

The story goes that while in the US, all the wiring in the house routes to the fuze box (now breaker box -- we haven't used fuses in years), that requries a lot of extra wiring to place recepticals around the home.  During the war years, metal was at a premium and that excess wire was considred wasteful.  So instead, the whole house got wired in one giant continous loop (do they still do this?).  The problem is... now you don't have individual breakers for each section of the house.  To solve that problem, the UK designed plugs with the fuse located in the individual plug (in the US, our plugs typically don't have fuses in them.  The only exception I can think of is holiday lighting strings.)

Meanwhile back to the topic ... flickering tends to be based on the AC power cycling rate (if you have AC power at 60Hz then your flickering is probably happening 60 times per second.  If you're on 50Hz then you're flickering is probably happening 50 times per second.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements