cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bigger Sensor or new technology?

pfrancke
Contributor

Hi,

I currently use the Canon Rebel XTi/400D.  I am considering buying a new body as I am sure technology has changed.  I am a hobbiest at best.

My question; would I be better served going with new technology like the new Rebel XT5i/700D?

or perhaps 60D which is a "better?" line, but probably a little cheaper?

or perhaps 5D which is full-frame, older technology, but has the full-frame sensor and can be had for under $600.00?

Besides everyday normal use, I would want to do low-light use (say forest pictures by moonlight).

Thank you for anything that you can say that would be helpful to my decision making!!

Piet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Got the body, EF 24-105 Lens hasn't shipped yet.  Started fooling around with it.using Canon zoom lens ef 75-300 1:4-5.6 III (which is not an expensive lens) taking pictures of 7 week old labs.  Had camera sitting on ground on tripod without legs extended, so it was about 1 foot high and top heavy.  A pup knocked it over within 10 seconds and my heart stopped.  The lense had some wire/fiber stuff that started coming out where it extends and I was able to slip it back.  Everything is ok, but anyway the point of the story is that the camara hit the floor tile and it passed the tank test.  I will treat it better, but next time I'll probably be more worried about breaking the tile.

Images are unbelievable for what I'm used to.

USB is slow as the dickens moving pics to computer.  Ordered more SD cards and another battery.   Need to order polarizing cap I think.  Need to get SD card reader for computer so I don't have to use USB (I used the cable that came with the Xti and it seems to work but SLOW.

Anyway.  It is my belief now that an upgrade does not have to be one to the latest and greatest.  The 1D Mk II N is an unbelievable deal at $500 used.  My next move (in a couple of years) besides lenses will be to do the same thing with 1DS equivalent but don't want to spend 900 or 1000 right now when I have the 1D to play with!!!!!

Thank you guys very much,  I am very happy I asked the questions.  You guys were very kind and most helpful!!!

Piet

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

hsbn
Whiz

You can use site like DXOMark to compare camera sensor: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

thank you - that site is very useful.  At first I thought getting into a 5D would be a big step up, and it would be compared to the 400D!  However, I see that it doesn't support EF-S lenses and that there are fewer photo sensors than the newer technology.  Now I am thinking that a refurbished 6D might be a good way to go...

This will be a hard choice.

EGADS - and now I can see that the full-frame cameras are EF, but not EF-S, meaning two of my lenses will not be of use.  I swear I feel stupid!  Thank you again for the comparison tool, it is very useful.

I never cite DxO.  They unfortunately do not pass the "sniff test" for a credible industry benchmark.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"I never cite DxO.  They unfortunately do not pass the "sniff test" for a credible industry benchmark."

You and I, my friend. Not passing the "sniff test" is kind. Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
Hi P.

What do you shoot? Portrait, landscape, sports?

I don't sense you want to dramatically upgrade with old lenses becoming obsolete.

Modern Full frame will give better high ISO performance. An old 5d (1) won't.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scotty,

A little landscape, in the Spring will be on a motorbike cruise in Utah.  A little macro (sometimes I paint miniatures).  I've got an interest in low-light photography and figured an upgrade would be good for that.  Mostly I was just sitting and thinking that 10 years have passed and times have changed...   I have no use for video, so that aspect doesn't matter.

Then I was looking around and saw that the 5D which was a 3,000 dollar camera could be had for 550 or so.  And I knew that the Rebel line had progressed.  And then there was the 50D, 60D, 70D line, and the 7D which is full-frame, but has a smaller sensor (seemed like a step back).  So I was just wondering what Those Who Know might think if it is worthwhile to upgrade from the old faithful 400D.

I'm still a little torn thinking about a 5D for $550, or a refurbished 6D for perhaps $1400, but truthfully, it would mean going down the path of lenses that could take advantage of such hardware.  And truthfully, it's probably just money wanting to burn a hole in my pocket. 

But I know those full frames can take beautiful pictures... so I guess the real question is:  Is the 5D really out of date (perhaps because of older sensor technology) or is it a STEAL at 550?

@pfrancke wrote:

Hi Scotty,

A little landscape, in the Spring will be on a motorbike cruise in Utah.  A little macro (sometimes I paint miniatures).  I've got an interest in low-light photography and figured an upgrade would be good for that.  Mostly I was just sitting and thinking that 10 years have passed and times have changed...   I have no use for video, so that aspect doesn't matter.

Then I was looking around and saw that the 5D which was a 3,000 dollar camera could be had for 550 or so.  And I knew that the Rebel line had progressed.  And then there was the 50D, 60D, 70D line, and the 7D which is full-frame, but has a smaller sensor (seemed like a step back).  So I was just wondering what Those Who Know might think if it is worthwhile to upgrade from the old faithful 400D.

I'm still a little torn thinking about a 5D for $550, or a refurbished 6D for perhaps $1400, but truthfully, it would mean going down the path of lenses that could take advantage of such hardware.  And truthfully, it's probably just money wanting to burn a hole in my pocket. 

But I know those full frames can take beautiful pictures... so I guess the real question is:  Is the 5D really out of date (perhaps because of older sensor technology) or is it a STEAL at 550?

pfrancke, the 50D, 60D, 70D, and 7D are all APS-C size sensors -- not full frame.  Only the 5D series, the new 6D, and some (but not all ) of the 1D series cameras are full frame.

The T3i, T4i, T5i, 60D, 70D, and 7D all use an APS-C sensor with the same resolution and near identical ISO perofrmance (there are very tiny differences -- but nothing dramatically obvious).  But all will seem like a huge boost in ISO performance over your current camera.  Each model provides more features, more control, perhaps a better build, or faster shooting performance, etc.  BUT... the "image quality" of your images off the sensor will not be a distinguishing difference.   They will all provide "about the same" image quality.

The 60D (as well as the 70D and 7D) add a 2nd dial to the back of the camera.  When using manual mode the front dial (main dial) can dial in shutter speed, while the rear dial can dial in aperture (the wheel is large and positioned for easy control by your thumb while you are looking through the viewfinder.)    In the semi-automatic modes (P, Tv, and Av) the rear dial can control exposure compensation.  All mid-level and pro-level bodies add this dial.

Also, the mid-level and pro-level bodies have the additional LCD display on the top of the camera body as well as a number of instant-access buttons to control commonly adjusted items so you don't need to use multiple buttons or navigate menus as you might have to do on the entry-level bodies.

However, the most dramatic difference in low light performance is with the current full-frame bodies.  The 5D II (no longer marketed) is also quite a dramatic improvement in low light (although the 6D and 5D III improve upon even the 5D II performance by just a bit -- a 5D II will still be quite dramatically improved as compared to any of the current generation of APS-C sensor bodies.)  The 5D (classic) -- not so much -- that's quite an old sensor.

The 5D II was a fantastic camera in most regards except it's focus system was a bit of a let down (ok, a huge let down... Canon received quite a few tongue lashings over that blunder but the 5D III shows they apparently they were determined to not make that mistake again (the 5D III has essentially the same focus system as the 1D X)).  However... the 5D II is quite impressive in ISO performance for low light shots.

The 5D II continued to be sold as an entry full-frame body after Canon released the 5D III... up until the point when Canon released the 6D.  The 6D is the body Canon intends as an entry into the full-frame category.  It does not have the metering, focusing, performance, or ruggedness of the 5D III... but it does have a much better focusing system than the 5D II and it has few other nice features such as integrated GPS and WiFi.

Based on your emphasis on good ISO performance (presumably you want low noise when shooting at high ISO in low light) then I would cross the 5D (classic) off your list.  If you could find a used 5D II or 6D that would certainly be worth considering.

Otherwise, evaluate a 60D -- that's still a lot of camera.  It's a mid-level body providing control layout and ergonomics of Canon's higher end bodies, but as it's been replaced by the 70D, they've dropped the price tag into the category of the Rebel bodies.  Since it's an APS-C body, it can use all of your current lenses.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim,  Thank you!

My summary of what you spell out so clearly is that over the last 10 years, improvements have been "real".  Or "the time to upgrade has arrived".  Particularly better ISO performance, which translates into "easier unstaged images in natural light".  So for me the difficult choice in moving up from a XTi will be:

6D    quick surf showed a refurbished body at $1,400 and a new body at a discount/overstock seller at $1,300.

better image quality, plus better ISO technology, plus easier to use dials,

minus the need to grow into new lenses (which over time might be a plus).

A new world opens, but at a still significant investment.

or 60D  at $500-$600

better ISO, easier dials and superior interface. No way to go wrong with this choice, other than missing the road not traveled.

Some soul searching to do...

Announcements