cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best street photography lens

idanidan123
Enthusiast

Hey guys, I just got the 70D (finally) and I wanna know what would you recoomend as the best street photography lens. I currently have the 28-105mm and the 90-300mm. I've heard the 50mm is a popular one, and so is the 35mm. What do you think about these lenses ? Do you have more suggestions for me ?

Thanks in advance !

11 REPLIES 11

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@idanidan123 wrote:

Hey guys, I just got the 70D (finally) and I wanna know what would you recoomend as the best street photography lens. I currently have the 28-105mm and the 90-300mm. I've heard the 50mm is a popular one, and so is the 35mm. What do you think about these lenses ? Do you have more suggestions for me ?

Thanks in advance !

Since you have a zoom lens that covers the range you are questioning, you can decide by looking at what focal length most of your photos are taken at. 

If you find you use 28mm most, you might even consider the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM.

No matter what get the STM version of the 50mm lens. Do NOT get the EF 50mm f/1.8 II. You want the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.

ScottyP
Authority

What would your budget be?  That can really make a difference in the range of potential suggestions.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

With a 70D, easy, the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

With a 70D, easy, the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens.

That would have the benefit of serving as an excellent WA lens if the OP eventually goes FF. But frankly, I'd recommend the f/4 version for less than half the money. One very rarely needs a faster lens outdoors.

And how about the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6? I've never used it, but several of the regulars in this forum have said good things about it. I don't do much street photography; but when I do, I tend to prefer a longer lens than "normal", which the 16-35 isn't, even on an APS-C camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@idanidan123 wrote:

Thanks in advance !

A 50mm is a "normal" lens on a full frame, but closer to a portrait lens on an APS-C body like the 70D.  A 35mm lens on your 70D would give you an angle of view that would be close to what you would get with a 50mm on a full frame.  Either focal length is good for street photography, but you have those focal lengths covered with your 28-105mm lens.

You already have a standard zoom that covers wide to medium telephoto in the 26-105mm lens.  Perhaps, an ultra-wide zoom lens would be useful.  The Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM offers an angle of view equivalent to 16-35mm on a full frame.  The EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens is less costly by half, but with a slightly narrower zoom range.  Either lens would be great for street photography.

What is my favorite lens for street photography?  I prefer a fast lens with at least a f/2.8 aperture, or faster.  I like the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, which has just recently been superseded by a version III by Canon.  A far less costly lens, which takes great photos on an APS-C camera body, is my Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I prefer lenses under 170$

@idanidan123 wrote:
I prefer lenses under 170$

Take a look at the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 "pancake" lens.  I think the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a great lens, but you may find it a bit too long for many "street" scenarios.  Some people would not, but I know that I would.  To me, the whole point of street photography is to capture a subject within a context, which frequently means an ultra-wide angle lens. 

Or, save up your money and buy a slightly more expensive, and better lens.  Don't buy something, just to have something.  You will never be fully satisfied with it..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I prefer lenses under 170$"

In that case you already have it. "I currently have the 28-105mm"

"Best" is a subjective term.  "Best possible", is another way to say it where you'er at.  But unless you are willing to save a bit longer, like suggested above, there is no "best" for $170.  The Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens is a decent lens.  So just stick with it until the bank gets a little more substantial.

On that note, however, selling that lens and buying a used Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is a good way to go and it would most likely fit under your current budget.  It slightly longer but it is a lot better IQ wise.  I have seen them go for under $150 in the used market and right at $200-$250 for a mint copy.

IMHO, stay away from any prime, single focal length, lens I.E. 50mm f1.8.  Much more limited use for this kind of photography. If it isn't a zoom, you don't want it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Okay, thanks.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements