cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Canon camera to start out with for photography and cinematography?

Leoyarms
Apprentice

I just graduated in multimedia design with a big interest in audiovisuals. As a birthday/graduation present my parents are letting me choose a camera so I can do some jobs on my own while looking for a job at a production company. I'd like a camera that can take nice pictures, but also shoot nice videos (either 1080p or 4K).

My brand of choice is Canon and the budget is around €900 - €1600. Preferably with a standard lens, but just the body is okay too.

What's the best Canon camera that meets these wishes?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Leoyarms wrote:

I just graduated in multimedia design with a big interest in audiovisuals. As a birthday/graduation present my parents are letting me choose a camera so I can do some jobs on my own while looking for a job at a production company. I'd like a camera that can take nice pictures, but also shoot nice videos (either 1080p or 4K).

My brand of choice is Canon and the budget is around €900 - €1600. Preferably with a standard lens, but just the body is okay too.

The best bang for the buck Canon DSLR for past couple of years has been the EOS 80D.  Canon just released an upgrade to it, the 90D with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM in a Canon camera kit.  The top selling camera on Amazon is the T7i, but I think you would outgrow it within a year.

With the 80D or 90D, or the T7i, or the 77D, I would recommend the Canon Portrait Two Lens kit.  The kit includes a 10-18mm STM lens and a 50mm STM lens.  If you are interested in videography, then you want any of Canon's "STM" zoom lenses with Canon cameras in this price range.

Be aware that most of the STM lenses are EF-S lenses, which means that they will not properly mount onto Canon's high end DSLRs.  This has been a presented a problem for some users in the past.  Fortunately, the EF-S lenses are compatible with Canon's new mirrorless line of R Series camera bodies, but you must use an adapter. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Leoyarms wrote:

The best bang for the buck Canon DSLR for past couple of years has been the EOS 80D.  Canon just released an upgrade to it, the 90D with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM in a Canon camera kit.  The top selling camera on Amazon is the T7i, but I think you would outgrow it within a year.

With the 80D or 90D, or the T7i, or the 77D, I would recommend the Canon Portrait Two Lens kit.  The kit includes a 10-18mm STM lens and a 50mm STM lens.  If you are interested in videography, then you want any of Canon's "STM" zoom lenses with Canon cameras in this price range.

Be aware that most of the STM lenses are EF-S lenses, which means that they will not properly mount onto Canon's high end DSLRs.  This has been a presented a problem for some users in the past.  Fortunately, the EF-S lenses are compatible with Canon's new mirrorless line of R Series camera bodies, but you must use an adapter. 

I suggest that you take Waddizzle's advice about a camera, but not about its lenses. If you're going to be a professional videographer, you'll have no use for the video capability of your still camera, no matter what lenses it has. Get an 80D or 90D and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens. If that's over your budget, back off to the 18-55mm kit lens, and replace it when you can afford to.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Leoyarms wrote:

I suggest that you take Waddizzle's advice about a camera, but not about its lenses. If you're going to be a professional videographer, you'll have no use for the video capability of your still camera, no matter what lenses it has. Get an 80D or 90D and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens. If that's over your budget, back off to the 18-55mm kit lens, and replace it when you can afford to.

Thanks, Bob.

If you're saying a professional videographer would want to uses a professional video camera, instead of a DSLR, then I would agree with you.  But, as another member is fond of saying, you have walk before you can run.  Most pro video cameras, at least the Cinema EOS models from Canon, are very complex pieces of hardware, which are far more complex than any of Canon's 1D bodies.

My first advice to anyone wanting to be a videographer is to first learn how to be a good photographer.  Some people react negatively to the comment, thinking it is an insult when it is not.  A midrange DSLR is an excellent tool to master photography and learn the basics of videography.  

There is a lot more to videography than the exposure triangle.  You really need to understand lighting and color.  For example, if you film a subject indoors wearing a red shirt, then you want the red shirt to look the same color when you film a scene outdoors.

As far as lens choices go, the best lenses for photography are not always the best lenses for videography.  Canon's Dual Pixel AF is optimized to work with Canon's STM zooms.  Features like SMOOTH automatic aperture control becomes available when you use an STM zoom lens.  Smooth aperture controls allows you to do smooth fade to blacks, and smooth fade ins.

Also, many of the USM lenses can only make aperture changes in discrete steps, instead of smoothly changing from one aperture setting to another.  The STM zooms can behave like a manual focus lens with a declicked aperture ring, and do it quietly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Leoyarms wrote:

Thanks, Bob.

If you're saying a professional videographer would want to uses a professional video camera, instead of a DSLR, then I would agree with you.  But, as another member is fond of saying, you have walk before you can run.  Most pro video cameras, at least the Cinema EOS models from Canon, are very complex pieces of hardware, which are far more complex than any of Canon's 1D bodies.

My first advice to anyone wanting to be a videographer is to first learn how to be a good photographer.  Some people react negatively to the comment, thinking it is an insult when it is not.  A midrange DSLR is an excellent tool to master photography and learn the basics of videography.  

There is a lot more to videography than the exposure triangle.  You really need to understand lighting and color.  For example, if you film a subject indoors wearing a red shirt, then you want the red shirt to look the same color when you film a scene outdoors.

As far as lens choices go, the best lenses for photography are not always the best lenses for videography.  Canon's Dual Pixel AF is optimized to work with Canon's STM zooms.  Features like SMOOTH automatic aperture control becomes available when you use an STM zoom lens.  Smooth aperture controls allows you to do smooth fade to blacks, and smooth fade ins.

Also, many of the USM lenses can only make aperture changes in discrete steps, instead of smoothly changing from one aperture setting to another.  The STM zooms can behave like a manual focus lens with a declicked aperture ring, and do it quietly.

I think I'm in total agreement with your analysis. But I understood the OP to say that he's just completed a rigorous educational program in videography, so I assumed that he has already mastered "the basics".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@MyKFCExperience wrote:

@Leoyarms wrote:

Thanks, Bob.

I think I'm in total agreement with your analysis. But I understood the OP to say that he's just completed a rigorous educational program in videography, so I assumed that he has already mastered "the basics".

The top selling camera on Amazon is the T7i, but I think you would outgrow it within a year.

Be aware that most of the STM lenses are EF-S lenses, which means that they will not properly mount onto Canon's high end DSLRs.  This has been a presented a problem for some users in the past.

"The top selling camera on Amazon is the T7i, ..."

Never buy a camera kit or set or package from Amazon.  Actually never buy a camera kit or set from anybody.  They are nortoriouly just junk. Some Amazon sources, Amazon itself is, but not all are Canon USA so don't buy from them either. Best advice is to avoid Amazon and go with a known good retailer that is Canon USA.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I'd like a camera that can take nice pictures, but also shoot nice videos (either 1080p or 4K)."

I am not and have never been a big fan of video on a DSLR but truth of the matter is all DSLR's do a pretty nice job of stills and vids. I am sure the newest Canon 90D, which is what I recommend you buy, will produce great video along with fantastic stills. 

If you are beyond the beginner novice stage you don't want beginner gear.  Makes sense?  That is why you need at least the new 90D but what about a lens? You don't want beginner kit lens either!  The best choice is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  So, that is your answer.

You have "the budget is around €900 - €1600" what ever that is. My recommended combo is around $2000 US dollars.  If it is too much perhaps you could add some of your own money to the pot or wait for a bit to buy.  I would seriously advise you not settle for lesser gear because it is cheaper.

I also suspect if you are a serious videographer you will eventually buy a true video camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements