cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery life 6d Mark II

Lynnea1941
Contributor

I am learning how to use the 6d Mark II after using the IDs Mark II for many years.  The weight of the older model was just too much.  But, what I am concerned about is the battery life with the new camera.  I could shoot RAW for 8 weeks with just one battery for the IDs Mark II.  Now I have been learning how to use the new camera with the battery grip for just a few days (perhaps 36 hours, as a guess), and the battery level is low.  While it doesn't take long to recharge, the contrast with the two models is quite a lot.

I have Canon batteries, and always turn off the camera when I am not using it , and I do understand that the number of shots is a factor. I don't have much  turned on such as WiFi or GPS. I don't review my shots although I have looked at playback to understand how it works.  Would looking at the menus and settings use up the batteries more than straight shooting? 

I have a total of 4 batteries for an extended trip, and I'm thinking about getting two more batteries just to be safe.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Lynnea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Lynnea1941wrote:

So forgive as I am new to this model. 

Where do you disable the post shot preview?  

Use the [RED 1] tab, “Image Review”

Where is the setting you refer to that allows the camera to keep trying to acquire focus when the camera has lost focus?

Use the [ORANGE 2] tab, {C.Fn.II] menu. [Option 7} “Lens drive when AF Impossible”

I did turn off GPS and the wireless communication.  Thanks for the info.

Most experienced photographers probably disable Image Review.

Depending upon what you are photographing, you may or may not want to disable “Lens Drive...”.  By default, the option is enabled.  Nearly all of my lenses allow for for manual focus override when the lens switch is in AF mode.  

My preference is for the camera to stop hunting when it has lost focus, so that I can manually get it close, and resume auto focus operation.  Most of the time, a camera/lens loses focus because it is being asked to change the focus distance by a significant amount.  This can happens most frequently with telephoto and super telephoto lenses, not the shorter focal lengths.

Other photographers prefer to have the feature enabled.  Taking the time to manually pre-focus can mean losing the shot.  But, the way I see it, allowing the camera to keep hunting can mean losing the shot, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Merjemin
Apprentice
I had 6D 1 one month ago and no problem with battery. LCD using normally in wedding work. I can't take 1200 shoot (6D2), maybe 200 photos only. I'm thinking about battery, something is wrong, buy new one and test both.

I have a battery grip (two batteries) and that is better than one battery.  I would urge you to download the article I mentioned by Grant Atkinson.  He mentions lots of settings that can be made which will increase battery life.  I haven't found such an extensive list of possible changes in my Internet searching.  Hopefully this helps.

Lynnea

@Lynnea1941wrote:

I have a battery grip (two batteries) and that is better than one battery.  I would urge you to download the article I mentioned by Grant Atkinson.  He mentions lots of settings that can be made which will increase battery life.  I haven't found such an extensive list of possible changes in my Internet searching.  Hopefully this helps.

Lynnea

Or just bring along a couple of spares. It takes less than ten seconds to change a camera battery.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements