cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery life 6d Mark II

Lynnea1941
Contributor

I am learning how to use the 6d Mark II after using the IDs Mark II for many years.  The weight of the older model was just too much.  But, what I am concerned about is the battery life with the new camera.  I could shoot RAW for 8 weeks with just one battery for the IDs Mark II.  Now I have been learning how to use the new camera with the battery grip for just a few days (perhaps 36 hours, as a guess), and the battery level is low.  While it doesn't take long to recharge, the contrast with the two models is quite a lot.

I have Canon batteries, and always turn off the camera when I am not using it , and I do understand that the number of shots is a factor. I don't have much  turned on such as WiFi or GPS. I don't review my shots although I have looked at playback to understand how it works.  Would looking at the menus and settings use up the batteries more than straight shooting? 

I have a total of 4 batteries for an extended trip, and I'm thinking about getting two more batteries just to be safe.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Lynnea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Lynnea1941wrote:

So forgive as I am new to this model. 

Where do you disable the post shot preview?  

Use the [RED 1] tab, “Image Review”

Where is the setting you refer to that allows the camera to keep trying to acquire focus when the camera has lost focus?

Use the [ORANGE 2] tab, {C.Fn.II] menu. [Option 7} “Lens drive when AF Impossible”

I did turn off GPS and the wireless communication.  Thanks for the info.

Most experienced photographers probably disable Image Review.

Depending upon what you are photographing, you may or may not want to disable “Lens Drive...”.  By default, the option is enabled.  Nearly all of my lenses allow for for manual focus override when the lens switch is in AF mode.  

My preference is for the camera to stop hunting when it has lost focus, so that I can manually get it close, and resume auto focus operation.  Most of the time, a camera/lens loses focus because it is being asked to change the focus distance by a significant amount.  This can happens most frequently with telephoto and super telephoto lenses, not the shorter focal lengths.

Other photographers prefer to have the feature enabled.  Taking the time to manually pre-focus can mean losing the shot.  But, the way I see it, allowing the camera to keep hunting can mean losing the shot, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I don't own a 6D II.  I know the original 6D did not have a mode to disable the GPS on poweroff (you had to go into the menu and manually turn off the GPS or it would continue to drain power even after you flip off the power switch).

I use a 5D IV and I would suspect the 6D II has the same feature... there's a mode where the GPS continues to work even after you flip the power swtich off... and another mode where the GPS really does switch off.  (the whole point of leaving the GPS on is that it can take a few minutes to get a position fix after power on... so if you just switch off briefly they don't want you to lose position data.)

Check the mode on your GPS and make sure that if you are using it, that it's in the correct mode to be 'off' when you switch off the camera.

Use of video and excessive use of live-view photos forces the sensor to stay on and active and that could certainly run the batteries down much faster.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the GPS tip.  I did disable it.  I don't use Live-View. I certainly have looked at the lcd screen a lot in just learning about the many, many options.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have a 6D and a 6D2, both with grips.  I can shoot hundreds of photos.  They both hold charges for weeks.  They could probably hold a charge for months, if I left them laying around that long.

The more you use the LCD, the greater the drain on the battery.  I have disabled the post shot preview, which saves a lot of battery life.  Continuous shooting mode can be significant drain on batteries.

I also like to disable, the setting that allows the camera to keep trying to acquire focus when the camera has lost focus.  I have noticed that I can hear the AF motors when I am walking when it is enabled.

If your camera battery is running down when the camera is idle, then the most likely cause is the GPS is enabled, or one of the wireless communication modes is enabled.

I have a 6D2.  I own 2 batteries.  A Canon LP-E6N and a Watson LP-E6N.  (Watson performs just like the Canon).  Charge time, number of shots delivered, length of time I can let it sit in the camera and.come back to use it.  I don't let batteries sit in my camera for more than 2-4 weeks. 

LIke Wadizzle I don't use post shot preview too often.  I use LiveView 50% of the time.  Not using the LCD does save battery life.   

I took a trip to Russia last Sept.  I was gone for 17 days.  I didn't charge my batteries more than 2 times.  I took over 1700 pictures.  Shot some 4-6 min videos as well.  Had GPS on the entire time.  Didn't use Wi-Fi.  Zero issues with the batteries.  My advice, don't leave batteries in your camera unused longer than 4 weeks.  Not a good idea, for the battery or your body.

Incorporating some of his suggestions should help with battery life. 

Mode Shooting Method Battery Temperature Possible Shots (Approx.)

Camera body only Viewfinder shooting LP-E6N

At 73°F/23°C 1200
At 32°F/0°C 1100

Live View shooting LP-E6N

At 73°F/23°C 380 

At 32°F/0°C 340

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Where is the setting you refer to that allows the camera to keep trying to acquire focus when the camera has lost focus?

@Lynnea1941wrote:

Use the [RED 1] tab, “Image Review”

Use the [ORANGE 2] tab, {C.Fn.II] menu. [Option 7} “Lens drive when AF Impossible”

Most experienced photographers probably disable Image Review.

Depending upon what you are photographing, you may or may not want to disable “Lens Drive...”.  By default, the option is enabled.  Nearly all of my lenses allow for for manual focus override when the lens switch is in AF mode.  

My preference is for the camera to stop hunting when it has lost focus, so that I can manually get it close, and resume auto focus operation.  Most of the time, a camera/lens loses focus because it is being asked to change the focus distance by a significant amount.  This can happens most frequently with telephoto and super telephoto lenses, not the shorter focal lengths.

Other photographers prefer to have the feature enabled.  Taking the time to manually pre-focus can mean losing the shot.  But, the way I see it, allowing the camera to keep hunting can mean losing the shot, too.

Merjemin
Apprentice
I have new one 6D II and same problem with battery life. GPS wifi are disabled. 10 min 3% battery down. I must buy grip and new battery then test second battery. I will write here after results.

There are several things you can do to assist in a better battery life. 

The long article by Grant Atkinson "Canon 6d Mark II setup for wildlife photography" mentions them.

The article is well written and quite detailed.  I recommend reading it.

Lynnea

@Merjeminwrote:
I have new one 6D II and same problem with battery life. GPS wifi are disabled. 10 min 3% battery down. I must buy grip and new battery then test second battery. I will write here after results.

How much do you use the LCD?  The LCD screen is power hungry.  The more you use it, the shorter your battery life.

Continuous shooting mode and AI Servo focusing mode can have a larger drain on battery power than One Shot focusing and Single Shot shooting.

Announcements