cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery issues

Timbambam
Apprentice

I have a Canon 70D camera. I have 2 batteries. One is a Canon and the other isn't.  When I use the on  anon battery I get no power. Nothing on any screen. The battery shows that it is fully charged when in the charger.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When i had my EOS Rebel T1i, I had 5 batteries.  I number them and make sure they all get roughly equal use (allowing a battery to sit for ages without any use isn't good for them.)

Two of the batteries were genuine Canon batteries.  Three of them were 3rd party batteries.  I don't recall the brands by name, but there were 2 different 3rd party brands.

My experience with them is that all three third party batteries were noticeable degraded or failed after a little over a year.  The genuine Canon batteries were still working extremely well three years later.

No battery will last forever -- think of them like the tires on your car.  One trip to the store doesn't mean you need a new set of tires, but they do wear at least a tiny (if imperceptible to us) amount on each use and after enough use they will eventually need to be replaced.   

The third party batteries were noticeably cheaper than the Canon batteries -- but apparently not just in price, but also in quality.  If I have to buy batteries 3 to 4 times more often then am I really saving anything?  More importantly, if the next time I need to use my camera I discover my batteries aren't working well enough to get me through the day then what I saved on batteries just cost me missed photo opportunities.  

After that experience, I concluded that it was safer to stick with the genuine batteries and I wasn't so desperate to save a few bucks to risk the bad experience.  I no longer buy 3rd party batteries.

As the saying goes "your mileage may vary" -- but those were my results.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jazzman1
Rising Star

This can happen with some 3rd party batteries.  You can get a refund, or exchange the battery for another one where you bought it, or try a different brand.  You may have a warranty you can try.  This is a problem that's not uncommon with many 3rd party batteries.  Some are cheap knockoffs, and some of those batteries could harm your camera.  If any problems with your camera is the result of the knockoff battery, canon will not honor any repair claims. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When i had my EOS Rebel T1i, I had 5 batteries.  I number them and make sure they all get roughly equal use (allowing a battery to sit for ages without any use isn't good for them.)

Two of the batteries were genuine Canon batteries.  Three of them were 3rd party batteries.  I don't recall the brands by name, but there were 2 different 3rd party brands.

My experience with them is that all three third party batteries were noticeable degraded or failed after a little over a year.  The genuine Canon batteries were still working extremely well three years later.

No battery will last forever -- think of them like the tires on your car.  One trip to the store doesn't mean you need a new set of tires, but they do wear at least a tiny (if imperceptible to us) amount on each use and after enough use they will eventually need to be replaced.   

The third party batteries were noticeably cheaper than the Canon batteries -- but apparently not just in price, but also in quality.  If I have to buy batteries 3 to 4 times more often then am I really saving anything?  More importantly, if the next time I need to use my camera I discover my batteries aren't working well enough to get me through the day then what I saved on batteries just cost me missed photo opportunities.  

After that experience, I concluded that it was safer to stick with the genuine batteries and I wasn't so desperate to save a few bucks to risk the bad experience.  I no longer buy 3rd party batteries.

As the saying goes "your mileage may vary" -- but those were my results.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Timbambam
Apprentice
Thanks for the info. I had a battery from the same company and had no issues with that one. This is the second 3rd party I bought the first worked fine in my camera it just wouldn't hold a charge. This one holds a charge buy doesn't power up the camera. I guess I will try one more and if I still have problems I will purchase the overpriced Canon battery.

BigJohn
Apprentice

I have a Canon 7D Mark2 and just obtained  a Canon 6D, can I use the same battery in both cameras?

@BigJohn wrote:

I have a Canon 7D Mark2 and just obtained  a Canon 6D, can I use the same battery in both cameras?

Yes, they use the same battery, the Canon LP-E6 or the newer LP-E6N.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your rapid reply! You just made my day. Thanks again.

Timbambam
Apprentice
Well it doesn't really matter anymore. I put my Canon away and have been using an Olympus OM-D 5mk ii for well over a year. My neck and back needed a break from the weight of the Canon. My Oylmpus mirrorless weighs about half what my Canon does. It take sc great photos.
Announcements