cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery grip for Canon 77d

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I just purchased a 77d. Because of the small battery I wanted to get a battery grip. I checked online and at the Canon store but couldn't find one! Does Canon make a grip for this model?
48 REPLIES 48

Correcting for anti-shake in post processing can be very time consuming. Also, sometimes I want to show off my stupid dog on Facebook right away.

I could copy my video to my computer, import into PowerDirector, apply video stabilizer at the default, then test to determine optimum setting, check rotational camera shake, then determine if enhanced stabilizer is required, then create output file.

Or, I could use the IBIS (5-axis stabilization) and do it on the fly.

OK, my point is the 77d has "stabilization" for video that the 80d doesn't have. I didn't say it was great thing to have, just that it was there. 

So, can we get back to the battery grip? That's why I'm here! Why would they think a battery that last only 270-600 shots is acceptable? Geez... 

@AR15_Dude wrote:

Correcting for anti-shake in post processing can be very time consuming. Also, sometimes I want to show off my stupid dog on Facebook right away.

I could copy my video to my computer, import into PowerDirector, apply video stabilizer at the default, then test to determine optimum setting, check rotational camera shake, then determine if enhanced stabilizer is required, then create output file.

Or, I could use the IBIS (5-axis stabilization) and do it on the fly.

OK, my point is the 77d has "stabilization" for video that the 80d doesn't have. I didn't say it was great thing to have, just that it was there. 

So, can we get back to the battery grip? That's why I'm here! Why would they think a battery that last only 270-600 shots is acceptable? Geez... 

The small battery is first thing that I noticed about the 77D.  The camera was introduced with the T7i and the M5.  They all use the same battery.  I can see sharing the same battery with a Rebel and the M Series, but not what I think of as medium size camera bodies.

If Canon does not introduce a battery grip, then I'm sure a 3rd party may do so.  Just be aware of why Canon probably did not introduce a battery grip for a Rebel T5.  The battery compartment does not have control connections for remote shutter control.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Words matter. You do not have IBIS. You have to have a particular lens with IS in order to use the video stabilization. THE SENSOR DOES NOT PARTICIPATE. (Which is the definition of IBIS) The rest is digic.

Now I understand why Canon calls it "Movie Electronic IS" instead of "IBIS". To me, "In Body Image Stabilization" would include in body electronically shifting of the image on the sensor to stabilize the image. 

I appreciate the correction! 

secondlevel
Enthusiast
You might have answered my question. I just looked inside the battery compartment and I only saw contacts for the battery. I called Canon and the guy on the phone said the same grip for the t6s should work. However, when I contacted Adorama to get it they said it wouldn't work. I am going to call the camera store I got it from ( I bought locally). They can actually test it and let me know.

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I don't think there will be a grip. The store that I bought it from said the t6s grip will not work. I don't see extra contacts in the battery compartment.

@secondlevel wrote:
I don't think there will be a grip. The store that I bought it from said the t6s grip will not work. I don't see extra contacts in the battery compartment.

Third party manufacturers make grips for the T5.  The grips use a hard wired connection between the grip, and the remote shutter input on the side of the camera.  You don't have to use the external wire to use the grip for extra power.

Awkward, but ask yourself this.  How often will you really be using the camera body in portrait mode?  How often do you do it now?  Whatever your current habits, they'll likely continue unchanged by a grip.  The extra battery power is what you really want, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lazlot
Contributor

Did you have any luck finding a battery grip for your 77d?

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I have not found a grip. Currently there isn't one on the market. At this point, I doubt that one will be made.

They show a battery grip as part of this kit [link removed per forum guidelines] that they are selling on Amazon with the 77d. It's clearly just Photoshopped into their photo and I assume that it's a mistake.

I am leaning towards buying the 80d. I am just trying to decide if it's worth the extra $250.

Announcements