cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery grip for Canon 77d

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I just purchased a 77d. Because of the small battery I wanted to get a battery grip. I checked online and at the Canon store but couldn't find one! Does Canon make a grip for this model?
48 REPLIES 48

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I hope so. I shoot events and with this small battery I am worried about having to switch batteries. I would rather keep shooting. The battery on my 60d is twice as thick.

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I really wanted the 80d but couldn't spend the extra $200 to get it. Once I changed the menu back to the normal Canon menus I felt okay with the purchase.

If you are use to Canon menus the new guided menu will frustrate you.

I'm very familiar with the regular menues & doubt I'll have to learn any new ones for a while. I guess manufacturers realize that a lot of people won't read their manuals so they add the info into the menu system. At least it sounds like you can by pass that idea.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I'm very familiar with the regular menues & doubt I'll have to learn any new ones for a while. I guess manufacturers realize that a lot of people won't read their manuals so they add the info into the menu system. At least it sounds like you can by pass that idea.

It sounds like a step in the wrong direction anyway. One of the good features of Canon's DSLRs has been the relative consistency of the controls from one model to the next.

Frankly, I have a bit of difficulty parsing the 77D's intended role. Given the existence of the Rebel line, there's no obvious need for a dumbed-down 80D. It's occurred to me to wonder if it isn't really just a test bed for in-camera stabilization, a feature that AFAIK appears nowhere else in Canon's product line.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

secondlevel
Enthusiast
It doesn't have in-camera stabilization. It's basically a stripped down 80d. It's smaller and lighter. Some of the controls that are on buttons on the 80d are in menus. However, the important ones: ISO, shutter speed, and aperture can be accessed easy like the 80d. The images are great! It focuses very well in low light (compared to my 60d).

Hmmm, Rebel T7i.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Of course it has "in-camera stabilization", in fact it has 5-axis stabilization ... when making videos. The 80d has no in-camera stabilization. And why do you say it's a stripped down 80d? Dude, be proud, with the Digic 7 processor it's the latest technology. Think about it, a focus system equal to the 80d but pushed by a FASTER processor. Have you tried a burst shot yet? It can take more RAW shots, or lots more .JPG without filling up the buffer. The ISO range has been increased, and it's lighter. Have you tried the Bluetooth yet with Canon Camera connect? The 80d doesn't have Bluetooth.

Are there reasons to buy the 80d over the 77d? Oh yes sir there is!

Hey, I got off base here, what about the battery grip? That's what I came here to find out. Call me old fashioned but I'm trying to support my nearest brick and mortar store so I'm waiting till they have the 77d available to buy it there. Should be this weekend. But PLEASE tell me a battery grip will be available.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

From everything I can tell, the 77D is the next-gen T6s in the same way that the T7i is the next-gen T6i.

Conrol layouts, top LCD, etc. are all reminiscent of the T6s.

As for the image stabilization... the reference I find in the specs is that it has "elecronic" movie image stabilization.  This doesn't sound like a mechanical IS feature... it sounds like software image stabilization (many video processing applications for your computer will allow you to apply stabilization in post processing).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I was going to say the same thing. From the website:

"Camera shake is inevitable at times, whether you’re ready to record the game-winning goal while running to keep up with the players, or when the landscape is epic but you’re riding in the car on a bumpy road. Movie Electronic IS^^^ helps minimize image blur due to shake, even when recording Full HD videos. When enabled and used with a compatible lens, 5-axis stabilization helps minimize image blur in the horizontal, vertical, and rotational planes."

Looks like a hybrid mechanical/electronic IS system that uses the lens IS in combination with shifting/rotating the sensor image electronically taking advantage or the reduced movie resolution compared to the full resolution of the sensor.

Not quite 'meh', but not "5 axis stabilization", either.

The "When enabled and use with a compatible lens" really sounds like they're saying the IS in the lens does it job (as it always would so long as you enable it) and they'll apply some further shake-reduction via in-camera firmware (including some digital de-rotation if you rotate the camera like a steering wheel while shooting.) 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements