cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic newb question-Sorry.....

FrankieLuke
Apprentice

So, Canon EOS M50. Rode Videomic pro+............

My issues are with the Webcam driver. It IS installed properly. uing USb EOS Utility connects and works perfectly. But I cannot get the webcam utility to OPEN. All camera does is connect to PC. BTW, I am a retired Computer tech (PC's)

Doesn't help with the camera of course. 

I tried 2 TEST sites and keep getting a "hardware" unspecific error?

Furthermoere, please tell me this is not true: From Freq question section:

Can I use the camera’s microphone?

A: No, EOS Webcam Utility software doesn't transmit audio through USB connection.Please use your computer’s built-in microphone or an external microphone separately connected to your computer. 

So I cannot use my New Rode mic for a video conference (actually a VA doctors appointment. 

Anyway, thanks and sorry for the basic stuff. I have watched many videos but none have helped with my first question

Regards

Frank

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EOS Webcam Utlity does not have a user GUI.  There is nothing to open.  It is a device driver.

The EOS Webcam Utility seem like it is designed to serve the same role as a laptop built-in webcam, which does not have a microphone.  The camera is a completely independent device from the microphone.

If you wish to use your Rode Mic on a video conference call, then you should use the video conferencing software to select the external microphone.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

OK. But I still am curious why, at 2 webcam testing sites the driver never WORKED and I got messages, as stated, about misc Hardware errors? Don't get that. It's a driver for this and other canon cameras. So why?

Hope I am explaining this correctly. Hardware errors are non-descriptive, but are about the camera? 
 The conncetion must be OK because the EOS Utility and all the other canon utilties work fine with the usb cable connected.

Anyway

Thanks. I amy just get another camera and return this one.

@FrankieLuke wrote:

OK. But I still am curious why, at 2 webcam testing sites the driver never WORKED and I got messages, as stated, about misc Hardware errors? Don't get that. It's a driver for this and other canon cameras. So why?

Hope I am explaining this correctly. Hardware errors are non-descriptive, but are about the camera? 
 The conncetion must be OK because the EOS Utility and all the other canon utilties work fine with the usb cable connected.

Anyway

Thanks. I amy just get another camera and return this one.

I am not familiar with any webcam testing sites.  Sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements