cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back button on focus 6D MarkII

rdixit
Contributor

How do I set up back button focus in the 6D Mark II? I have a lot of instructions on BBF for the 6D, nothing for the 6D MarkII.

I am scrolling to C.FunIII. Then I get a series of pictograms, and I have no idea what to do to set up BBF. I am having trouble understanding which pictogram means what.IMG_2610.JPG

26 REPLIES 26

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Er... Isn't "AF-Start" on the "AF-on" button by default? Did you maybe mean to say add "Metering Start"?

Oh, I think I finally understand what you are really asking.  The factory default for the [AF-ON] button is “Metering Start and AF Start”.  

But, look at the screenshot of the menu.  The OP has both the [Shutter] and [AF-ON] buttons programmed for “AE Lock”.  Both buttons need to be changed.  The current programming has totally disabled Auto Focus.

So, yes, I meant to say “AF Start”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I can't find where in the manual it explains those two states.

@rdixit wrote:

Look at my posts from the manual.  I posted pages 500 and 501.  Yes, read the manual, don’t just “look” at it, so that you can understand what it is that you are being told.  You have a learning curve to climb.

Do you understand the settings display?  I explained it in an earlier post, which someone kudoed.  The left side is the button, and the right side is the button function.  If you want to know what they mean, unfortunately you must read the manual.  

I posted a the pages from the instruction manual that explain what the relevant symbols mean.  Your posted screen shot shows that you have the shutter button and the [AF-ON] button misprogrammed (as AEL, automatic exposure lock) in such a way that the camera will not auto focus.  

I suggest that you use the “reset to factory defaults” option, which is found on that same page (HINT: press the garbage can button) and reset the buttons back tot heir factory defaults.  Once this is done, you need to reprogram the shutter to so that it is metering only, without AF-START.  

If you need someone to walk you through it, which you seem to need, then I suggest that you call Canon Support.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rdixit wrote:

Look at my posts from the manual.  I posted pages 500 and 501.

I am not sure what manual you received with your camera, but the English version that was packed with my camera has only 199 pages.

@rdixit wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rdixit wrote:

Look at my posts from the manual.  I posted pages 500 and 501.

I am not sure what manual you received with your camera, but the English version that was packed with my camera has only 199 pages.

Sometimes the printed manual is an abbreviated version. If a CD came with your camera, it probably has the full version as a PDF file. Otherwise, you can download it from the Canon Support Web site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi, rdixit!

Thanks for your participation in the Canon Community! 

You can download all of the manuals for your 6D Mark II (along with updated drivers and software) directly from the Canon USA website HERE.

While you're on that page, you'll see all of our contact information at the top of the page for support, should you need one-on-one help with getting back button focus setup. 

Quite honestly, I think contributors (including Canon support) spent more time giving the OP a hard time than you did contributing to his dilemma. If you had simply pointed him to page 497 of the manual, he probably could have figured it out. On Step 2, the OP's start point, hit Set. That'll take you to the step 3 screen. On step 3, you select the control and hit set, the next screen will be where you assign the function (metering only for BBF), hit Set. Then, going back to step 3, you select the next control down, which is AF-On, hit Set, next screen, select AF, hit Set. Then Menu to get back. Now, how hard was that?

Obviously a canned response. You could have easily said, "and go to page 497" and made your response useful.

@47greyfox wrote:
Obviously a canned response. You could have easily said, "and go to page 497" and made your response useful.

He was told what pages to look at, and samples of those pages were posted.  If you had actually read the posts then you would have understood the problem was understanding the nomenclature and symbols.

[ Button ]. :  [ Function ]

Finding the page was not the problem.  It was understanding how to read it.  Thank-you.

I read all the post's threads. The pages identified were 500 and 501. Not 497, a more logical starting point. 

Announcements