cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back button on focus 6D MarkII

rdixit
Contributor

How do I set up back button focus in the 6D Mark II? I have a lot of instructions on BBF for the 6D, nothing for the 6D MarkII.

I am scrolling to C.FunIII. Then I get a series of pictograms, and I have no idea what to do to set up BBF. I am having trouble understanding which pictogram means what.IMG_2610.JPG

26 REPLIES 26

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rdixit wrote:

How do I set up back button focus in the 6D Mark II? I have a lot of instructions on BBF for the 6D, nothing for the 6D MarkII. The Custom Menu options seem to have a lot of pictograms, and I am having trouble understanding what means what.

It works pretty much the same way on nearly all Canon DSLRs.  Since you have not described exactly what is confusing, the best advice I can give you is read the instructions carefully.  I have no idea what you mean by “pictograms”.

The various settings describe two states: when the button is not pressed, and when it is pressed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am editing my original question to make it more clear. I will also try to attach a photo of the "pictograms"

@rdixit wrote:

I am editing my original question to make it more clear. I will also try to attach a photo of the "pictograms"

It is a bad practice to edit an existing post after someone has already quoted you.  It can make it hard for others to folllow.

Your “pictograms” are more properly called “icons”.  Those are the same icons you see on buttons.  They are thoroughly explained in the manual, so I will not go into to it here, especially seeing how you seem to have indicated that you have a copy of the manual.

To set up BBF, you need to change the functionality of two buttons.  You need to remove the “AF Start” function from the shutter button, and then add “AF-Start” to the “AF-ON” button.

Again, the buttons have two states, which is what you see in the menus.  The manual explains the two states.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rdixit wrote:

It is a bad practice to edit an existing post after someone has already quoted you.  It can make it hard for others to folllow.

Your “pictograms” are more properly called “icons”.  Those are the same icons you see on buttons.  They are thoroughly explained in the manual, so I will not go into to it here, especially seeing how you seem to have indicated that you have a copy of the manual.

To set up BBF, you need to change the functionality of two buttons.  You need to remove the “AF Start” function from the shutter button, and then add “AF-Start” to the “AF-ON” button.

Again, the buttons have two states, which is what you see in the menus.  The manual explains the two states.

Er... Isn't "AF-Start" on the "AF-on" button by default? Did you maybe mean to say add "Metering Start"?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rdixit wrote:

Er... Isn't "AF-Start" on the "AF-on" button by default? Did you maybe mean to say add "Metering Start"?

No.  “AF-Start” and “Metering Start” are two separate functions.

99D72B5A-47E1-46D3-A9A4-AD37D7E39500.jpeg02315515-9B57-46A9-AD3B-6AA977B1DD73.jpeg

This is the whole point of BBF.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rdixit wrote:

No.  “AF-Start” and “Metering Start” are two separate functions.

99D72B5A-47E1-46D3-A9A4-AD37D7E39500.jpeg02315515-9B57-46A9-AD3B-6AA977B1DD73.jpeg

This is the whole point of BBF.

The whole point of BBF is to remove AF-start from the shutter button; it's on the back ("AF on") button by default. So the usual change to the shutter button is to remove AF-start but leave Metering-Start. I believe that some users like to add Metering-Start to the back button as well. YMMV.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

“The whole point of BBF is to remove AF-start from the shutter button; it's on the back ("AF on") button by default. So the usual change to the shutter button is to remove AF-start but leave Metering-Start. I believe that some users like to add Metering-Start to the back button as well. YMMV.”

Metering and AF Start are locked together.  You can separate out Metering, but not AF Start.  I posted the available Metering and AF options.  Rebels do not have an [AF-ON] buttton, so the usual procedure is to reprogram [ * ] button.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rdixit wrote:

Cheers and kudos to Bob and Wadizzle for great explanations.

Rdixit,

You haven't said what you want to accomplish, or why.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I think I made it clear that I am trying to set up back button focusing?

I am looking through the manual and obviously having trouble understanding how to set it up. Constantly telling me to read the manual is not helpful or kind. Obviously if I had been able to clearly understand how to set it up I would  not be here. I was hoping this forum would be more supportive and less snarky.

Announcements