cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back button focusing for 5d Mark III. How do I set it up?

Rongates
Contributor

How do I set up Back Button focusing on my new 5D Mark III.  Can't find instructions in Canon supplied manual or third-party book.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

amfoto1
Authority

It's really easy because it's mostly already set up... The AF-On button on the back of the camera already starts and stops AF.

To set up true BBF technique, you turn off the AF function at the shutter button. I believe it's Custom Function IV, 1:  Opertaion/Others.... where you make button assignments.  Navigate to the shutter button icon and press "set" to enter the options for that... change to the center one "metering start" and press "set" again. Done.

Optionally you can swap the function of the AF-On and "*" (AE Lock) buttons, using the same button assignment tool.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Thank you...

amfoto1
Authority

It's really easy because it's mostly already set up... The AF-On button on the back of the camera already starts and stops AF.

To set up true BBF technique, you turn off the AF function at the shutter button. I believe it's Custom Function IV, 1:  Opertaion/Others.... where you make button assignments.  Navigate to the shutter button icon and press "set" to enter the options for that... change to the center one "metering start" and press "set" again. Done.

Optionally you can swap the function of the AF-On and "*" (AE Lock) buttons, using the same button assignment tool.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thank you!

Announcements