cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Button Focus

gehutch
Apprentice

Does the 5d Mark ii have the ability to set up back button focus?  I've searched quite a bit and haven't found a yes or no anywhere.

6 REPLIES 6

gehutch
Apprentice

Wouldn't you know it.  Minutes after posting this I found it...

For true back button focus you not only need to set up the back button in the menu you also need to take the focus off the shutter button, so there are two changes you need to make.

I tried back button focus with my 1 series bodies but never really cared for the setup.  I reassigned it as the AF stop button which is very useful to me when I do a quick recompose during sports shooting.  I often use the AF stop buttons on my telephoto primes instead because they are usually next to my fingers while holding the lens but unfortunately the 70-200 f2.8 that is usually on my second body doesn't have that ring of buttons so the AF stop gets used a lot on that body.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you Ray!  I wondered about that but so far haven't been able to tell how to take the focus off the shutter.  Needless to say, just got this used mkii yesterday and trying to dig in.

Can you point me in the right direction to accomplish this?

Thanks again...

I think I may have jumped in too soon because upon checking it looks as though with the 5D MkII this may be all done on the one setting of C.fn IV-1 which you need set to option 2, which is probably what you have already done.Smiley Frustrated

I lucked into that!  Thanks for your help, glad there's some knowledgeable people on here.  Some things are hard to dig out of the manual and online...

Announcements