cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto power off doesn't work - Canon 5D mark IV

Vinz
Apprentice

Hello all

I noticed on my 5D MKIV  that, even if Auto power off is set up on 1 minute, the LCD screen doesnt go to sleep mode after 1 minute. I tried to set up the auto power off to 2 minutes, but it doesnt go to sleeping mode neither after that time. No matter what I select with the auto power off, the LCD screen doesnt go to sleep mode at all, and therefore it drains my batteries.

I updated the firmware but it didnt change anything.

Any ideas how to solve this issue ?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

Hello Vinz, 

It's unusual that the auto power off doesn't take effect at the prescribed time.  Typically, if no buttons are pressed and the camera is sitting idle, it would auto power off at this time.  

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Ti,

Thank you for your answer.

I took out anything attached to the body and cleaned the lense contacts with a micro fiber cloath.

I only use EF canon lenses. I tried with different ones and without any lenses on. I cleared all camera settings.

But as for now, the auto power off doesnt seem to work, when no buttons are pressed and the camera sit idle.

Is there another way to restore the camera to its default state? or some other solutions ?

I live in West Africa, so I m pretty far from any Canon repair service, and I need the camera for next assignments too, so I wish to find a solution...

Hello!

If you're outside of the USA, you'll want to reach out to Canon in your country or region for assistance. You'll find options HERE

Hi there! Did you ever work out what the problem was without sending it in? I'm in the same boat and I've gotten so used to auto power off that I'm always pulling out my camera only to see the **bleep** thing dead again!

Hope you got it solved on your own, I'm pulling my hair out over this one and can't even remember how long ago I started delving into the settings to find out the cause.

I do suspect, on a related note, that it has to do with having let some light rain fall on the camera. As much as Canon claims the 5d series are weather resistant to a certain degree, I highly suspect that the shutter button let some water in and I have a sulfated short that is confusing my camera. Time will tell!

@elexplorador wrote:

Hi there! Did you ever work out what the problem was without sending it in? I'm in the same boat and I've gotten so used to auto power off that I'm always pulling out my camera only to see the **bleep** thing dead again!

Hope you got it solved on your own, I'm pulling my hair out over this one and can't even remember how long ago I started delving into the settings to find out the cause.

I do suspect, on a related note, that it has to do with having let some light rain fall on the camera. As much as Canon claims the 5d series are weather resistant to a certain degree, I highly suspect that the shutter button let some water in and I have a sulfated short that is confusing my camera. Time will tell!

Be sure to disable GPS if you won't be using the camera for a while. The default is for GPS to keep acquiring a signal, even after the main camera switch is turned off. This allows the camera to orient itself more quickly when you turn it back on, but the manual warns you that it drains the battery.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Try set GPS in mode 2

GPS is disabled, as is wifi, but thanks anyway!

Announcements