cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus won't focus

Cahoon38
Contributor

Hi all:

I'm just getting into my 70D and like it a lot. One thing that's happened twice lately. I was shooting a signature on a metallic object and the camera wouldn't take the shot. I figured there wasn't enough contrast and went to Manual and manual focus. Same thing, the camera wouldn't focus OR take the shot. BTW, the green dot in the view finder was blinking sigifying no focs. I then tried to overide it again by going to Bulb. Again, the same thing. I eventually fooled the camera by focusing on something close to what I wanted and then moved the camera and took the shot.

My question: how do you overide the AF - or can you?

Thanks to those that answer.

17 REPLIES 17

cicopo
Elite

Turn OFF the switch on THE LENS. It's not done with a control on the camera.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Cahoon38 wrote:

Hi all:

I'm just getting into my 70D and like it a lot. One thing that's happened twice lately. I was shooting a signature on a metallic object and the camera wouldn't take the shot. I figured there wasn't enough contrast and went to Manual and manual focus. Same thing, the camera wouldn't focus OR take the shot. BTW, the green dot in the view finder was blinking sigifying no focs. I then tried to overide it again by going to Bulb. Again, the same thing. I eventually fooled the camera by focusing on something close to what I wanted and then moved the camera and took the shot.

My question: how do you overide the AF - or can you?

Thanks to those that answer.

Please read the manual for your camera. Being in Manual or Bulb mode have nothing to do with the focus settings of your camera.

Also be aware that lenses have a minimum focus distance. If you are closer to the subject than the minimum focus distance there is no setting on the camera you can change to make it focus. You can reduce the minimum focus distance of lenses with extension tubes, but, at this point I would just concentrate on learning to use the gear you have.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My question: how do you overide the AF - or can you?"

Depending on which lens you have it may not be necessary to turn off AF at all.  Some Canon lenses have full time manual focus.  So, all you need do is focus it yourself.

Obviously you were not at MFD if you were able to focus on something else and than take the shot.  What lens are you using?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Obviously you were not at MFD if you were able to focus on something else and than take the shot. 

Not obvious at all. If he was just under the MFD, and focused on something 'close', but,  just over the MFD that would still explain what he experienced.
Regardless he needs to read his manual if he thinks changing to Manual or Bulb exposure modes impacts focus.

"... he needs to read his manual ..."

Yes, agree that is the place to start but this is a forum where interaction is the base for its existence.  A manual is not.  If answering a person's question is a burden, don't do it.  Sometimes it is more clear and makes more sense when you get a direct responce to a question. A different point of view if you will.

Don't you think the OP would have been somewhat lucky if he happened to focus on a object that was just in MDF and the intended subject was just out?  MFD is not likely the cause, IMHO as usual.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... he needs to read his manual ..."

Yes, agree that is the place to start but this is a forum where interaction is the base for its existence.  A manual is not.  If answering a person's question is a burden, don't do it.  Sometimes it is more clear and makes more sense when you get a direct responce to a question. A different point of view if you will.

Don't you think the OP would have been somewhat lucky if he happened to focus on a object that was just in MDF and the intended subject was just out?  MFD is not likely the cause, IMHO as usual.

The OP said he was shooting a signature on a metallic object. Signatures tend to be small and with a kit lens, getting it to fill the frame could very well put it below the MFD, that's why I brought up the MFD.

So I answered his question with a 'different point of view' AND suggested very politely that he read the manual.

Hi again:

Seems like I stirred up some vitriol. I don't think I phrased the question as thorougly as I should have.

I did read the manual and got on Utube for instruction, but this was something not covered.

Anyway, I did find a way to fool the camera, so in tight spots I can always do that.

Thanks again for the replies

@Cahoon38 wrote:

Hi again:

Seems like I stirred up some vitriol. I don't think I phrased the question as thorougly as I should have.

I did read the manual and got on Utube for instruction, but this was something not covered.

Anyway, I did find a way to fool the camera, so in tight spots I can always do that.

Thanks again for the replies

What do you mean by tight spots?

I meant, when I get into a situation where the camer won't focus, I'll have to resort to "fooling" it.

The thing about this situation that pisses me off is that the camera won't allow a shot to be taken. If the green "out of focus" indicator comes on, then it doesn't allow a shot to be taken. Any camera should allow a shot to be taken even if it's overexposed or underexposed or even out of focus.

However, I have to say that I don't have a lot of experiece with the camera yet - and am comparing it to others I've had.

Announcements