cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus not giving beep or green light in creative modes

irish626
Contributor

Just recently the autofocus on my 70D does not alert me with the green light in the viewfinder or the beep. The problem exists in the creative modes only in basic modes it works.  

I cleared all settings and functions and it still does not function.

Any help will be appreciated.  

Tnx

marty

39 REPLIES 39

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Yes, I double checked with the 7D Mk II in MY HANDS before posting it."

If you have one one hand, see if a reset [clear custom functions?] clears custom button settings.  His camera, according to him, was apparently in BBF mode [I had forgotten to clear it], and he couldn't reset it back to normal shutter button action. 

Sorry, I have my Custom Functions setup how I want them. Including things like a different focus screen, and AF On, being AF Off, as well as others, so I'm not going to clear my custom functions.

In the future when you borrow your son's camera, make your changes to BBF while in C3 mode, and save them to C3 then it will only effect the camera while in C3. Yes, I double checked this camera IN HAND.

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my dilemma. One call to canon support and I found out that either me or the person who used the camera put it in BBF and once I took that off I was good to go.We were on the right track but apparently clearing settings does not clear BBF.
Thanks again
marty

@irish626 wrote:
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my dilemma. One call to canon support and I found out that either me or the person who used the camera put it in BBF and once I took that off I was good to go.We were on the right track but apparently clearing settings does not clear BBF.
Thanks again
marty

Exactly!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Does anyone see a purpose why switching to BBF disables (and apparently overides) the main menu selection for Beep On?

BBF is utilized to separate focus from exposure and shutter actuation. The 1D series has a dedicated AF-ON button on the rear. If Beep is On then Beep sounds when the AF-ON button is activated.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Does anyone see a purpose why switching to BBF disables (and apparently overides) the main menu selection for Beep On?

BBF is utilized to separate focus from exposure and shutter actuation. The 1D series has a dedicated AF-ON button on the rear. If Beep is On then Beep sounds when the AF-ON button is activated.

When in One Shot mode, I get a AF confirmation beep in BBF mode from every Canon camera I've used that allows for BBF.  In addition to the cameras in my signature, you can add 7D2, T3i, and 1Dmk4.

I have not paid attention to your observation concerning the beep.  I have noticed that in One Shot mode, the camera isn't supposed to take a shot unless the camera has locked focus.  When you use BBF, the camera will activate the shutter no matter what, One Shot mode or not.  IMHO, I think this behavior is preferred over being locked out from taking a picture.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The 7D Mk II as well as most non-Rebel Canon dSLRs also have an AF-On button.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@irish626 wrote:
Thanks again
marty

Exactly!

Exactly, you need to Clear Custom Functions as well, not just Clear the camera settings. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@irish626 wrote:
Thanks again
marty

Exactly!

Exactly, you need to Clear Custom Functions as well, not just Clear the camera settings. 

Spoke to my son.  As it runs out, we tried to do the resetting in "P" mode, not "A".  As noted, the menu option was not available in "A" mode.  So, we switched to "P", where the reset options became available in the menus.

I suggest that you switch your camera to "P" mode, and vist the "Clear Custom Functions" screen and clcik on the "SET" button.  Don't worry.  You will get a confirmation screen before it clears memory.  Check out the message that appears.

The confirmation message says, "settings for focusing screen and custom controls will be retained."  In other words, if BBF has been enabled, then resetting the camera does not clear it!

Is this behavior a bug?  I classify software bugs.  Coding erros are Class A bugs.  An foreseen set of conditions, which cannot be handled by the code, is a Class B bug.  I'm calling this one a Class B bug.  I don't know why select custom functions cannot be reset, but i assume that there must be a VERY good reason for it.  If not, it's a BUG.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Spoke to my son.  As it runs out, we tried to do the resetting in "P" mode, not "A".  As noted, the menu option was not available in "A" mode.  So, we switched to "P", where the reset options became available in the menus.

I suggest that you switch your camera to "P" mode, and vist the "Clear Custom Functions" screen and clcik on the "SET" button.  Don't worry.  You will get a confirmation screen before it clears memory.  Check out the message that appears.

The confirmation message says, "settings for focusing screen and custom controls will be retained."  In other words, if BBF has been enabled, then resetting the camera does not clear it!

Is this behavior a bug?  I classify software bugs.  Coding erros are Class A bugs.  An foreseen set of conditions, which cannot be handled by the code, is a Class B bug.  I'm calling this one a Class B bug.  I don't know why select custom functions cannot be reset, but i assume that there must be a VERY good reason for it.  If not, it's a BUG.

You are correct about the warning message, and that that would not clear out BBF.

I stand corrected and apologize for the incorrect information. 

Since it gives the warning message that the custom controls are not being reset, I would not consider it a bug.

That now adds 3 different places you need to go to reset the camera to default behavior. In addition to Clear Camera Settings, and Clear Custom Functions, You also have to go to the Custom Control menu and chose 'Default set.'

custom controls.JPG

It would be nice if Canon had a single menu choice to reset the camera back to factory defaults. Though I'm sure even if they had two levels of warnings that all settings would be lost, someone would still complain about that too.

"It would be nice if Canon had a single menu choice to reset the camera back to factory defaults. Though I'm sure even if they had two levels of warnings that all settings would be lost, someone would still complain about that too."

It would be nice.  Perhaps, a little too nice and easy.  I think two levels of warnings for a reset to actual, fresh out of the box, factory defaults would be a nice, too. But, I can also see someone getting stuck on that menu and clicking "OK", let me out.

But, a genuine full reset opens up another can of worms.  Should the shutter count be reset to zero, or being left as is?  It should be left "as is", which means that "reset to factory defaults" [menu choice] wouldn't be a truly complete reset.

Announcements