cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Focus Cases

pjscott51
Enthusiast

I'm shooting with the Canon 5D 3 and the Canon 70-200 2.8 lens. I have the lens set to 1.2m-infenity, AF, stabilizer on and mode 2.

I'm shooting some youth basketball. I'm confused when it comes to which AF case is best to use when shooting something like basketball. I've tried several if not all of the AF cases but have yet to find one where all my photos are properly focused. The problem seems to be more distinct with distant subjects then with closer subjects. The enclosed photo is an example of the problem I'm having.

I appreciate any help,

Thanks,

Paul

_test_5D_9462.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is focussing fine, #3 is really sharp. In the dim light of a gym you have shallow depth of field. You need to set the center focus point and aim directly at the player you want in focus, then crop as desired. Once you have that down, you can move on to more advanced focussing.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

A number of posts on photo forums recommend Case 4 for basketball. 1/1000 shurrer speed. AI Servo. Center point and 4 surrounding points. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John that's the information I was looking for. As for 1/1000 shutter speed, only in my dreams. I'm shooting at a 1/400 or 1/500th of a second at ISO 4000, 5000 or even 6400. Sometimes there might be a little blur but it's usually the ball or feel.It's the focusing that concerns me more.

Again thanks,

Paul

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you don't already have this, make sure you download it.  This is Canon's guide to the AF system on your camera:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii/AF_guide_EOS5D_Ma...

It goes into some depth about how the system works and may help you choose settings that work out better for you.

The iTR (intelligent Track & Recognition) system wont be used if you are constraining the focus system to a single point.  That means it does nothing if in single AF point or spot AF modes.  

If you use exanded AF or zone AF then it can move around within that area only... but wont leave the area.  

If you use the full 61-point AF area then the iTR system can use any point it wants to follow your subject.  This can be either helpful or harmful.  If you're pretty good at tracking your subject and keeping them where you want them within the frame then maybe you'd prefer to use zone AF or expanded AF modes.  If not, then try out the iTR on the full 61-point mode.

As for the cases (and I don't shoot basketball so I haven't tested this myself) it looks to me that you would either want case #4 or case #6.  If you look at the parameters, cases 4, 5, & 6, they all set the same tracking sensitivity level, but case 4 sets "accel/decel tracking" a notch higher.  Case 5 does NOT put "accel/decel tracking" a notch higher but instead puts "AF pt auto switching" a notch higher.  Case 6 simply puts both a notch higher.  

Good luck!

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Paul,

Next game, just for grins, set the Mk III to Tv.  Set SS to 1/500 or even 1/1000. Fix the ISO at 6400 (don't use Auto ISO).

Use One Shot instead of AI-Servo and use just the center focus point.  Turn the others off.  You can leave IS off, too, if you like.  You need to be shooting RAW with a 5D Mk III so WB doesn't matter but you can leave it at AWB.

If you don't have a post editor, the supplied DPP4 will do a nice job.  Post is where great photos are made. Shooting RAW will give you light years more editing ability.

Try to be more deliberate to get good shoots. Knowledge of the sport or game is critical to get good photos.  You should have that ability by now!

My last point and it is the most important one, is where you shoot from.  Location, location, location.  It is the key to great sports photos.  Shooting from the bleachers is not a good location but it is what most parents have to deal with. If this is your case, I definitely would not use AI-Servo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I look at your photo, and I think that it appears the camera was focused on the player in the background.

My jury is out when it comes to using IS.  For your posted shot, I think Mode 1, may have been better.  If the camera is not being physically and quickly moved side to side to track a subject, I get better results with Mode 1 compared to 2 or 3..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thaks for all the replies. I've been shooting sports along with many other subject for years. But like I said my comfusion was with the AF Cases. I appreciate all the suggestioins and I will use them to tweak my skills.

Thanks again,

Paul

@pjscott51 wrote:

Thaks for all the replies. I've been shooting sports along with many other subject for years. But like I said my comfusion was with the AF Cases. I appreciate all the suggestioins and I will use them to tweak my skills.

Thanks again,

Paul

You're welcome.  Yes, you have asked about cases, which has been answered.  I gave my opinion on your posted shot.  I don't think the issue with the shot is directly caused by case selection.  With your experience I assume you can check which AF point was locked in the shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

And Waddizzle like I said I appreciate your suggestions. When shooting sports I usually use the 61 focal points. And part of my confusion with cases was due to having several shots that resembled the photo that I included in my post. Since I was using the 61 focal points I’m not sure why or how the focal point focused on the subject in the background rather than the subjects in the foreground. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the case I was using.

Again thanks for the help,

Paul

Announcements